Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt wizard (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-wizard-t271342.html)

true4uca 10-22-2015 07:27 AM

Quilt wizard

Has anyone tried 1/4 inch foot. Does it really help with your 1'4 inch seam.

ManiacQuilter2 10-22-2015 07:39 AM

I use to use the Little Foot 1/4" foot before Bernina came out with it's own, number 37. It is always on my Bernina unless the walking or FMQ foot is on.

QuiltnNan 10-22-2015 07:40 AM

i get such better results with the 1/4 in foot with the fence

PaperPrincess 10-22-2015 07:47 AM

Mine works perfectly, however, I have to move my needle position a bit. Where I move it to depends on the fabric and thread thickness of the particular project I am working on. If you always use quilting cotton and a specific thread weight, you can set it and forget it. If you use different fabrics on different projects, like flannel or homespun and/or different thread weights, then you need to double check the setting at the start of each project. It only takes a minute and saves frustration in the long run.

true4uca 10-22-2015 08:09 AM

Sadly my new Janome only has this 1/4 inch foot. I'm beginning to hate it. Seems I make lots of HST's. That rail sure bothers me when I do. Two of my quilting friends have broken the rail off for this reason. I really need a second railless (is that a word), 1'4 foot has well. Thought I'd like to try the wizard.

jolo 10-22-2015 08:53 AM

I wouldnt sew without my quarter in foot.

Buckeye Rose 10-22-2015 09:58 AM

I always piece with my 1/4" foot.....I do have to adjust the needle position, but it is wonderful for helping me to keep that 1/4" seam.

bearisgray 10-22-2015 10:01 AM

It is fairly easy to "verify" where your needle is in relation to the edge of your presser foot if you use graph paper or an index card.

I place the edge of the presser foot on or near a line (like it was the edge of my fabric) and sew on the paper and see where it hits.

PaperPrincess 10-22-2015 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca (Post 7352593)
Sadly my new Janome only has this 1/4 inch foot. I'm beginning to hate it. Seems I make lots of HST's. That rail sure bothers me when I do. Two of my quilting friends have broken the rail off for this reason. I really need a second railless (is that a word), 1'4 foot has well. Thought I'd like to try the wizard.

My girlfriend kept complaining that she hated her foot. Could not figure out why. She was also trying to use it sewing across the fabric, like when you make HST. If the foot has a guide, it is normally positioned so low that it won't let the fabric slip under it so it guides your seam line. Normally only used when it can be positioned against the raw edge of the fabric. If I don't have an Accucut die the right size for a HST, I mark my sewing line and use a regular foot.

Geri B 10-22-2015 01:28 PM

I hate both 1/4" feet that are for the BL....the rail on right catches it you are trying to cross over a seam.it's only good if you are stitching a straight strip/piece....the other without the rail on the right, but that diagonal edge on the left always caught the edges of seams and wanted to fold them over....so, I invested in the good ole little foot from Nancy's notions....perfect 1/4" seam, no snagging or folding of opposing seams! Seems sometimes the old designs are better than the new ones!,,,I even informed the dealer about what I did.......