Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery Machines Really That Great? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-machines-really-great-t273059.html)

BettyGee 12-07-2015 07:36 AM

Embroidery Machines Really That Great?

Seems like everything is for embroidery machines when I'm looking for patterns. I like to do embroidery by hand, old school I guess. There are some beautiful patterns I see, but they are only available for embroidery machines. I do not believe that I will ever purchase a new machine that has the embroidery feature because doing it by hand has always been a very creative outlet for me. However, I'm not to old to learn new things. So I'm wondering, is the embroidery feature that much of a treat?

susie-susie-susie 12-07-2015 07:40 AM

It seems that we are the last "dinosaurs" left. I agree with your comments. I just bought a new machine last year and didn't want embroidery on it. If I want embroidery I will do it by hand.
Sue

quilts4charity 12-07-2015 07:48 AM

I used to love handwork but arthritis put a stop to most of that and I LOVE my embroidery machine!!!

dunster 12-07-2015 07:50 AM

Embroidery by hand or by machine is like anything else - some people love it, some people hate it. I have the embroidery module on my Bernina 440 and have not used it except in a class to learn how it worked. I thought I would use it more, otherwise would not have purchased it, and have often wondered if I could sell it, LOL. I have seen some gorgeous work done by others using an embroidery machine, but it just is not something I'm interested in doing. I am, however, planning a hand embroidery project, not having done any since I was a teenager.

willferg 12-07-2015 07:54 AM

I like hand embroidery, too, and don't see myself ever getting into machine embroidery. I've seen a few pattern makers (like Urban Threads) who provide a hand and machine version of every pattern, but most do not. I wish more of them did.

PAMAR 12-07-2015 08:11 AM

I had never intended to buy an embroidery machine. However, my dealer gave me such a good deal on my Bernina 630 that I couldn't turn it down.

I love the embroidery function. As a matter of fact, I pretty much use the Bernina for embroidery only. I purchased a Juki 2010q that I use for all my piecing and quilting. For handwork, I applique or cross stitch.

Quilty-Louise 12-07-2015 08:25 AM

I have 2 combo machines (does both sewing and embroidery).

Personally I LOVE my embroidery machines, mainly because I
DON'T do hand embroidery, and if I did it wouldn't be as neat
or done as fast.

However I totally respect those who don't like/want an embroidery
machine it IS a personal preference.

LousPeachy 12-07-2015 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by quilts4charity (Post 7396944)
I used to love handwork but arthritis put a stop to most of that and I LOVE my embroidery machine!!!

I did counted cross stitch for many years but my vision is what stopped me from doing that anymore. I really miss it and tried it a few months ago but i was fighting a losing battle.
Louise

maryb119 12-07-2015 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by quilts4charity (Post 7396944)

Same for me. "Old age is not for sissies."

Cari-in-Oly 12-07-2015 09:35 AM

My mother does beautiful hand work but that gene did not pass to me. She calls my embroidery machines cheating but loves the things I make. We respect each others' work. I absolutely love my embroidery machines, in fact I just bought a fourth one. My mom mostly uses Aunt Marthas transfers, but I have bought her some designs from Urban Threads that she likes.

Cari