Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Smart phone Zombies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/smart-phone-zombies-t273293.html)

OhCanada 12-14-2015 03:34 AM

Smart phone Zombies

It is a world wide epidemic. It seems to have infected all people under the age of 30. I have observed couples in fine dining restaurants who spend 90% of their time interacting with their phones rather than each other. People walk down busy streets all the while texting/reading. I wonder what the implications for society will be with the next generation being raised by zombies. I enjoy and embrace technology - but when does it all become too much?

sandy l 12-14-2015 04:08 AM

Not only has it taken over their ability to walk without their phones, they also have to use their phones while driving.

cindyb 12-14-2015 04:50 AM

Went to a Christmas Party last week. The Hostess glanced up to say Hi, then proceeded to look down on her phone for another half hour. Lady next to her was already there, also into her phone. So I laughed and said, 'You guys look like you are talking to each other'. Thought that may get my message across. Then comes my daughter, plops down on the couch, phone in hand - adding one more!!!!! I wanted to go home.

Onebyone 12-14-2015 05:15 AM

I see so many parents with their eyes glued to their phone and their kids are just there, no interacting with them, no talking but to look up now and then and say just a minute. I don't care what they think they are doing but the truth is you are instilling in the kids minds that my time with my phone is more important then you are.

I videoed my DD sitting and looking at her phone while my grand was pulling on her, wanting her to look at his truck. She glanced up and said a few words to him and went back to her phone. The look on the grands face was heartbreaking. My grand finally gave up and walked away. She saw the video and was upset with herself. She had no idea. She got a wake up call and put a stop to her actions. I want to tell parents I see at the park, at the store, at the Dr. office, PUT DOWN YOUR PHONES.

janRN 12-14-2015 05:35 AM

Onebyone, I agree with you. I was grocery shopping and a young mom had a 3 year old in the cart seat who was jabbering away. Mom too was jabbering away---on her phone. What a shame. She could have been teaching the child colors, numbers, or just giggling with her. It made me so sad I wanted to cry for that little child.

Geri B 12-14-2015 05:55 AM

...and these "phones" just keep doing more and more....smart phones/dumb users...

Chasing Hawk 12-14-2015 07:25 AM

Perfect term for these phones users.

We carry an old fashioned flip phone. I spend as little time as I can on it. It mainly goes in my purse when we leave the house. otherwise it still around looking like a knick-knack.

Chasing Hawk 12-14-2015 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7403332)
I see so many parents with their eyes glued to their phone and their kids are just there, no interacting with them, no talking but to look up now and then and say just a minute. I don't care what they think they are doing but the truth is you are instilling in the kids minds that my time with my phone is more important then you are.

I videoed my DD sitting and looking at her phone while my grand was pulling on her, wanting her to look at his truck. She glanced up and said a few words to him and went back to her phone. The look on the grands face was heartbreaking. My grand finally gave up and walked away. She saw the video and was upset with herself. She had no idea. She got a wake up call and put a stop to her actions. I want to tell parents I see at the park, at the store, at the Dr. office, PUT DOWN YOUR PHONES.

Glad to see she saw what she was doing. And is working on correcting it. I yell at people who drive and text or are talking on their phones. I am reminded daily of the horrors distracted drivers inflict. The constant pain on my shoulders and the titanium cage around my cervical spine along with the 3" scar on my neck remind me.

ManiacQuilter2 12-14-2015 08:27 AM

I agree with all of you. They need to learn to put there phone down. I also have what I call my dumb dumb phone (flip phone). I carry it in case of emergency.

susie-susie-susie 12-14-2015 09:02 AM

I agree with all the comments. People are not talking to each other anymore, also they are not talking to their children. It is disturbing to say the least. I, also, have a flip phone for emergencies like my DH calling to ask when I will be home. lol
Sue