Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Janome Horizon sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/janome-horizon-sewing-machine-t273475.html)

LindaR 12-19-2015 06:40 AM

Janome Horizon sewing machine

does anyone else have this machine...I thought it would be my dream machine but am kinda disappoint in the feed dogs.....lots of jamming and skipped stitches and find myself changing needles alot. I have tried various settings but mostly keep it on the factory setting...fussy about thread also...I have a janome 2030 and have absolutely no problems....am I doing something wrong????

Misty's Mom 12-19-2015 07:36 AM

Which Janome Horizon do you have? I have both the 12000 and the 8900 and lve both of them. No problems whatsoever.

ManiacQuilter2 12-19-2015 07:41 AM

Did you buy it from a dealer? That is the only advantage of paying a higher price to get the service which sounds like you need. I only use to use Mettler thread on my Bernina (dealer recommended) but just recently tried Aurifil which is also running great. It is not worth the hassle when using the lower grade threads.

woody 12-19-2015 01:12 PM

I have the 7700 and apart that it is fussy with thread (mine likes Guttermann) I love it. It has sewn everything from denim to chiffon without missing a stitch.

Brandonsnana 12-20-2015 03:39 AM

I had similar problems with my 8900 when I was top stitching some table runners. I took it in for service; in addition to a thorough cleaning (I had done several projects with flannel and always use insulbright in my runners so there was lint in places I wouldn't even try to reach) the dealer recommended Purple Tip needles for some of the sewing I do. No more problems with the machine so you may want to try a different size/type of needle.

celwood 12-20-2015 04:41 AM

I have a 7700. Found that it was skipping stitches and found that I had not wound the bobbin correctly. I find that if I wind the bobbin too fast that the skipping stitches problems reappears.

Gaby 12-20-2015 04:47 AM

I have the horizon 8900 and am disappointed at having to change needles often, but otherwise I like it, especially the free motion quilting foot. I had it at the dealer several times because of skipped stitches and they always told me that I need to change the needle. I never really know what needle to use, and just wait for the machine to act up, than I change the needle , I hope you can make friends with it.

Fastpedal 12-20-2015 05:01 AM

I have a Janome 7700 and had a Janome 6500P. Had some problems with the 6500P and the dealer suggested using their needles with purple tips. Had
no other problems with it and use the purple needles with my 7700. Now if I can just remember to unthread the machine when I leave it so my cat would not eat my thread in two at the spool. LOL.

Joset 12-20-2015 05:15 AM

i havee a 7700 horizon and no problems i just love it

IrishgalfromNJ 12-20-2015 05:16 AM

I bought a Janome 7700 in June and I am finally getting used to the quirks of my machine. I had some tension issues with mine in the beginning and I had to fiddle with my top tension a lot.

If by jamming, you mean that the fabric doesn't catch at the feed dogs and it jams under the presser foot, I found that I need to have lots of material under the presser foot and the feed dogs need to covered with material before they will move the fabric. I would suggest using a leader and ender when you are sewing, especially small pieces of fabric that don't cover the feed dogs.

No problems with thread at all. Been using Connecting Threads cotton in it and it works great.

The 7700 is a great machine and has lots of cool features and stitches. Don't give up.