Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you could recommend a quilting book to have on hand for reference...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-could-recommend-quilting-book-have-hand-reference-t273820.html)

kpcakesmi 12-28-2015 05:39 PM

If you could recommend a quilting book to have on hand for reference......

The knowledge all of you quilters is so great, I thought I would pick your brain. What book(s)or resource of information that you refer back to on an occasion, or feel it is valuable to have in your library.

Thanks...

Kristy-not a beginner...definitely not a novice! :-)

mike'sgirl 12-28-2015 06:26 PM

I love Eleanor Burns . She is a wonderful teacher and her books are filled with quilting wisdom.

quiltingcandy 12-28-2015 06:39 PM

Is this for you? What kind of quilts do you like to make? I am very fond of the Lap Quilting books by Georgia Bonesteel. I did buy a book from Better Homes and Gardens called a Quilting Encyclopedia early on, and it had everything from hand sewing, applique, piecing and so much more in other types of sewing. But as I want to learn new projects that is when I buy a book on that style. And since my family has a habit of never getting rid of books (I swear it is genetic) I keep them forever. (I did send my sister the Eleanor Burns book "Egg Money Quilts" so I can share.) I'm sorry that isn't much help. Are you just putting together a library or trying to help someone else?

sushi 12-28-2015 06:49 PM

As reference books, I swear by The Quilter's Academy series by Harriet and Carrie Hargrave. While these teach perfect technique, you can always dial back according to your own disposition.

While there are now 4+ volumes, you need not purchase any that exceed your ambitions.

kpcakesmi 12-28-2015 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7416405)
Is this for you? What kind of quilts do you like to make? I am very fond of the Lap Quilting books by Georgia Bonesteel. I did buy a book from Better Homes and Gardens called a Quilting Encyclopedia early on, and it had everything from hand sewing, applique, piecing and so much more in other types of sewing. But as I want to learn new projects that is when I buy a book on that style. And since my family has a habit of never getting rid of books (I swear it is genetic) I keep them forever. (I did send my sister the Eleanor Burns book "Egg Money Quilts" so I can share.) I'm sorry that isn't much help. Are you just putting together a library or trying to help someone else?

This would be for me. I would say something like the encyclopedia you mentioned. I am going to try to go out side the "block" so to say. I want to try applique and Freel motion and would like to try some crazy quilting.

quiltingshorttimer 12-28-2015 08:13 PM

I have the Better Homes & Gardens Quilting Encyclopedia and pull it out every so often--glad I got it. I also use the spiral bound reference for quilting math (several titles out there with this) so I don't have to figure stuff myself! I also really like Joen Wolfram and Jean Wells books on use of color and improve quilting--wanting to do more of my own designs and both have several books that are helpful. And my Guild has beginner classes that include a notebook of very helpful "stuff"--most is information on different quilting topics that have been downloaded from the internet--I've added to it and started a similar one for long arm quilting as I use both frequently.

Tartan 12-28-2015 08:27 PM

My favourite for FMQ designs is Angela Walters book titled Shape by shape. It has design ideas for squares, triangles, circles, diamonds, borders etc. it really helps to plan how I will quilt the negative spaces on my quilt.

DOTTYMO 12-28-2015 11:13 PM

Better homes quilting book if you are talking about piecing a quilt. But shape by Shape by Angela Walters if you are referring to quilting is after sandwiching.
personally I would say the Internet offers many useful videos on topics eg MSQC.

mawluv 12-29-2015 01:06 AM

That's kind of hard to answer. I, like most quilters seem to have a large stock of books. As your quilting progresses, you tend to purchase books with just a specific technique that you are trying to learn, eg. paper piecing, applique, free motion. I agree with some of the others, BHG Quilting Encyclopedia is probably the standard that everyone has. There are so many resources on line now, it's like a kid in a candy store, but I still like my hard copies!!!

mawluv 12-29-2015 01:12 AM

Angela Walters book titled Shape by shape.

Thanks, Tartan, for the tip. Going to check this one out.