Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Doughnut ear pillow. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/doughnut-ear-pillow-t274941.html)

apples galore 01-24-2016 06:45 PM

Doughnut ear pillow.

This is probably a strange request, but here goes. The quilt group I belong to, Keep You In Stitches, is looking for instructions on how to assemble this pillow. It's for folks that are lying in bed for long stretches of time and their ears get very sore. It's about 8" to 10" square with a hole in the middle. Figuring out the pattern was a snap, 3 pieces. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to sew it together with all the seam allowances on the inside! Yes, I feel very dumb, but we are trying to do a community service by donating our time and materials so the Hospice does not have to purchase these for their patients. Any help will be greatly appreciated! apples galore, or The Dumb One!!!

IrishNY 01-24-2016 06:54 PM

If you search on Google, there are several patterns that tell how to make these. I just searched doughnut pillow pattern.

Judith1005 01-24-2016 06:58 PM

What if you sew the inner circle wrong sides together first. Then sew the outer square leave an opening on the end to stuff and turn it inside out. (This is only a suggestion if I am understanding your description.) And hand sew the opening. (It shouldn't be that big.)

You could always make a demo on one and see if it works.

apples galore 01-24-2016 08:14 PM

Thank you!!

cathyvv 01-24-2016 09:31 PM

They make these? Wow. I have to look that up and make one for myself. My left ear often hurts because of sleeping on my left side. My solution is to put voltaren gel on it, but preventing it would be best!

DOTTYMO 01-25-2016 12:09 AM

Make a tube open at both ends and pull through. Then hand stitch two ends together leaving a small space to push stuffing through.

nativetexan 01-25-2016 11:24 AM

sounds good. i use a wheat husk (think) pillow so i can push it down where my ear goes. Want to see your finished one!

LavenderBlue 01-25-2016 11:28 AM

cathyvv, I have the same problem on my right side. So glad to see this here. ;-)

maviskw 01-25-2016 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 7444736)
Make a tube open at both ends and pull through. Then hand stitch two ends together leaving a small space to push stuffing through.

Yes, the tube may work, but make that tube a circle. With RST sew outside seam and inside seam. After it is turned, sew that last seam: the one that will make the pillow a circle, as far as you can right sides together. Then stuff and hand-sew the last seam.

I have trouble with both my ears. I usually use my fist and punch a spot for my ear in the pillow. Or kind of gather the pillow around until there is a place for my ear.

KLO 01-25-2016 12:48 PM

Since you mentioned making square pillows, I wondered if you couldn't just make a square pillow the size you want (right sides together, sew around leaving a hole for turning which will be hand sewn closed after stuffing) except when stuffing it, first sew a small square shape in the middle before stuffing then stuff the rest of the pillow form. There would be no hole in the middle but since you sewed a square there with no stuffing, it would not press against the ear. That seems like it might be the easiest and fastest way to make one. Hope this makes some sense to you when you read it and hope it is doable. Sometimes what is in my head does not always work. Nice of you and your group to volunteer to do this.