Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   kitchen countertops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kitchen-countertops-t284800.html)

lisalovesquilting 12-29-2016 10:38 AM

kitchen countertops

Does anyone here have black counter tops in your kitchen? Are you happy with them? pros and cons?

QuiltE 12-29-2016 11:22 AM

If you want to only hear good things ... just don't bother to read further ...........

A friend had them when she moved into a new (to her) home.
They showed every bit of grease and splatters of food, water, milk, etc.
Unless she literally polished them, they showed every stroke of the cloth when she wiped them down.
And even with polishing, it was hard to get a truly clean/clear end result.

Needless to say, she couldn't get rid of them fast enough .............
............ sorry, if this is not what you wanted to hear!

Onebyone 12-29-2016 01:12 PM

If you ever had a microwave with black housing that should show you what you are in for.

quiltsRfun 12-29-2016 01:53 PM

Mine are black with golden specs and I don't have a problem.

nativetexan 12-29-2016 03:16 PM

I have some sort of dark countertops that everyone who ever lived here before me used as cutting boards! cuts everywhere. One day i want to get a butcher block counter top for the small island. I will not cut on it either! I have a cutting board! I can live with the old ones elsewhere. I just try hard to ignore them. no idea what they are, they wrap up several inches to make a back splash. ick!!

cashs_mom 12-29-2016 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7728375)
If you want to only hear good things ... just don't bother to read further ...........

A friend had them when she moved into a new (to her) home.
They showed every bit of grease and splatters of food, water, milk, etc.
Unless she literally polished them, they showed every stroke of the cloth when she wiped them down.
And even with polishing, it was hard to get a truly clean/clear end result.

Needless to say, she couldn't get rid of them fast enough .............
............ sorry, if this is not what you wanted to hear!

That's what I would have thought. It's sort of like a black car. It looks great when its clean and waxed and stays that way for about an hour.

QuiltE 12-29-2016 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 7728531)
That's what I would have thought. It's sort of like a black car. It looks great when its clean and waxed and stays that way for about an hour.

An hour?
Heck, I thought it was more a matter of minutes before it lost its beauty! :)

Sandra in Minnesota 12-29-2016 07:21 PM

I moved about a year ago, and the counter tops in the new house are black with specks. Don't know what it is, but I wipe it off, and it is just fine.

NJ Quilter 12-29-2016 07:32 PM

I've never had black counters. MIL had black stove top and regretted it as soon as she cooked her first meal! And I've had a black car - never again. If I were to do black counters...they would need to be quartz and have flecks of some sort at least to have different light refractions to disguise some of the dust/spills that might not be noticed on the first pass of clean up.

SewingSew 12-29-2016 07:42 PM

I have black granite countertops in the kitchen and I love them.