Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suprise new machine for me! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suprise-new-machine-me-t288548.html)

Macybaby 05-27-2017 04:43 AM

Suprise new machine for me!

My Birthday and Mothers day were one day apart this year. I'll admit that I was feeling a bit down about things. Yesterday DH and I drove into Sioux Falls to pick up some items, and while we were there I wanted to stop at my LA dealer to get some thread. It's a small family owned shop, and they know us by site. We walked in the door and I jokingly said to Ben, "I'm in the mood to buy something, what have you got?"

He smiled and said "Good, I'm in the mood to sell something!" He knows I've been toying around with the idea of an embroidery machine for some time, and he wanted to move out his Destiny display model to make room for the new Destiny II. And while he was showing me it, another friend came in (she does LA work for hire) and DH and her got to chatting. He told me this afterwards - he was talking to her about how I'd probably never use one as I prefer quilting. And she went on to tell him about all the things a quilter can do with an embroidery machine to enhance the quilt. After all - she sees a lot of it. She told my husband that at my level of sewing, the embroidery machine is worth getting.

DH, once he gets his mind around buying something, always likes to go for the best. Ben gave us a great deal on the Destiny, including the upgrade kit (though he has to order one it for us). I've been reading the manual, and today I'm going to do some sewing. I have a Juki2010 for my piecing, but my "main" sewing machine is 35 years old, and it was the top of the line Viking when I bought it. So it's been a long time since I've upgraded my main sewing machine.

Austinite 05-27-2017 04:49 AM

That's great! New machines are the best, enjoy! :)

cherrybsixty 05-27-2017 05:05 AM

I'm a vintage girl, myself Cathy, but Congratulations on your new buy. Enjoy

Happy sewing

Jcarpentier 05-27-2017 05:13 AM

Love it! Glad you got a good deal!

QuiltnNan 05-27-2017 06:49 AM

congrats !!!

Stevensgirl 05-27-2017 07:00 AM

Wow! Congrats!

sewbizgirl 05-27-2017 07:07 AM

Belated Happy Birthday and enjoy your new machine!

Macybaby 05-27-2017 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty (Post 7832233)
I'm a vintage girl, myself Cathy, but Congratulations on your new buy. Enjoy

Happy sewing

I own over 150 vintage machines, and find they run the gamit just like new machines. Some are built well and do a good job, and some weren't worth much when they were new. I think vintage machines are way better than most lower end new machines. I have my collection for historical reasons, but love the newer features my machine has for actual sewing.

There was a time I thought I'd love to get good at doing free motion embroidery and cut work with a Singer 15. I even have vintage books that teach how to do it. but I have to be realistic that time is the one thing I don't have a lot of, and doing things that way takes a lot of time to develop the physical skills. With all the abilities of this new machine, I can be creative and have a lot of fun a lot quicker.

Onebyone 05-27-2017 07:38 AM

A new machine is the perfect thing to lift your spirits! Congratulations!

Quilter 53 05-27-2017 07:49 AM

Macybaby, I've been reading your posts for awhile now, and I've just got to say that your DH is a treasure!! Congrats on the new embroidery machine. I, too just purchased an older model Pfaff to learn embroidery and embellish my quilts, but have been so busy with another project that I haven't had the time to do much with it. The price was too good to pass up even though I knew it would be awhile before I could play with it. I only see one problem....How do you top that come Father's Day? LOL