Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many patterns have a mistake in the directions ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-patterns-have-mistake-directions-t294130.html)

Onebyone 01-17-2018 04:05 PM

How many patterns have a mistake in the directions ?

I have had seen too many with mistakes. Well Missouri Star Quilt company had a mistake in the tutorial for 4 x 4 Quilt Pattern. So what do they do to make it right? Give the written pattern for free! Now that is great customer service. :thumbup:

nativetexan 01-17-2018 04:32 PM

too many. books too. irritating but that is life. no one proof reads. corrections brought to their attention are usually put on their sites.

Teen 01-17-2018 05:41 PM

MSQC rocks it!

NZquilter 01-17-2018 05:43 PM

Good for them! They are great.

letawellman 01-17-2018 06:25 PM

I think that the vast majority of patterns have a mistake in them, somewhere.
It's like the software companies now - they want to get a "new" product out the door so fast, they don't do sufficient testing.
Sometimes it's the designer's fault, sometimes it's the publisher's fault.
I can't decide if it's laziness or impatience... perhaps it's both.

But that's GREAT that MSQC has that kind of customer service mindset!! I love Jenny Doan's tutorials - she's such a hoot to watch!! I think my favorite so far is her tute for the Creative Grids Pineapple ruler - she's just so obviously tickled at how accurate her blocks turn out with that ruler!! Her enthusiasm is so darn cute!!

jmoore 01-17-2018 06:39 PM

I am not surprised that they gave it to you for free...I think MSQC takes pride in what they do.

I purchased a pattern from a LQS in which one of the owners wrote the pattern and I discovered an error in the instructions when it came to cutting...and they were grateful for my feedback and gave me gift certificate equivelant to what I paid for the pattern.

ruby2shoes 01-17-2018 10:18 PM

I found an error in a pattern I purchased so I emailed the "writer" and never heard anything back from her. It was only a minor error but one that could cause some confusion to a novice. Having no acknowledgement from her I now make a point of not buying anymore of her patterns.

quilterpurpledog 01-18-2018 02:55 AM

Yes, there are too many pattern errors! I feel really bad when the errors are in the cutting process because you have to buy more fabric. It is unfortunate when they are in the construction process because it is frustrating, especially to those quilters or sewers who are new. I feel like pattern writers need to make the project following the instructions they write rather than the quilt they first constructed. That is where the rubber meets the road. Their words and illustrations need to match their thoughts. Last year three of us, all experienced quilters were trying to help with a problem pattern. We figured it out, but the instructions were very poor. We contacted the pattern maker and she was very hostile.

ckcowl 01-18-2018 03:58 AM

I would think most patterns have a mistake or two. Most designers do have ( testers) follow the patterns, make the projects to find the errors before they go to the publisher, but sometimes something still gets missed, or even the publisher can make a typo, reverse a diagram etc. magazine editors sometimes change a pattern to fit the allowed space in the magazine and don’t realize they left out something important— it’s not always the designer’s error. errors happen. When an error is found don’t get upset- accept we are all human. Contact the designer & let them know. Often they have a place on their website for corrections. They appreciate you finding it and try to fix ASAP.

KenmoreGal2 01-18-2018 05:05 AM

I used a free paper piecing pattern of a snowflake design which I found on the web. It was my first attempt at paper piecing. The pattern produced mirror images of what it was supposed to! I thought it was my fault after I tried twice and got the same result. So I brought the pattern to a friend's house (who had done pp'ing before) and had her give it a try. Same result - mirror image.

I probably should contact the author. What I don't understand is she has comments on her web page written by people who used the pattern and were successful with it.