Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many patterns have a mistake in the directions ?

How many patterns have a mistake in the directions ?

I have had seen too many with mistakes. Well Missouri Star Quilt company had a mistake in the tutorial for 4 x 4 Quilt Pattern. So what do they do to make it right? Give the written pattern for free! Now that is great customer service.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 01-17-2018 at 04:15 PM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    too many. books too. irritating but that is life. no one proof reads. corrections brought to their attention are usually put on their sites.

MSQC rocks it!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Good for them! They are great.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I think that the vast majority of patterns have a mistake in them, somewhere.
    It's like the software companies now - they want to get a "new" product out the door so fast, they don't do sufficient testing.
    Sometimes it's the designer's fault, sometimes it's the publisher's fault.
    I can't decide if it's laziness or impatience... perhaps it's both.

But that's GREAT that MSQC has that kind of customer service mindset!! I love Jenny Doan's tutorials - she's such a hoot to watch!! I think my favorite so far is her tute for the Creative Grids Pineapple ruler - she's just so obviously tickled at how accurate her blocks turn out with that ruler!! Her enthusiasm is so darn cute!!
    Leta in Upstate SC

Blog Entries
    I am not surprised that they gave it to you for free...I think MSQC takes pride in what they do.

I purchased a pattern from a LQS in which one of the owners wrote the pattern and I discovered an error in the instructions when it came to cutting...and they were grateful for my feedback and gave me gift certificate equivelant to what I paid for the pattern.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I found an error in a pattern I purchased so I emailed the "writer" and never heard anything back from her. It was only a minor error but one that could cause some confusion to a novice. Having no acknowledgement from her I now make a point of not buying anymore of her patterns.

Yes, there are too many pattern errors! I feel really bad when the errors are in the cutting process because you have to buy more fabric. It is unfortunate when they are in the construction process because it is frustrating, especially to those quilters or sewers who are new. I feel like pattern writers need to make the project following the instructions they write rather than the quilt they first constructed. That is where the rubber meets the road. Their words and illustrations need to match their thoughts. Last year three of us, all experienced quilters were trying to help with a problem pattern. We figured it out, but the instructions were very poor. We contacted the pattern maker and she was very hostile.

Blog Entries
    I would think most patterns have a mistake or two. Most designers do have ( testers) follow the patterns, make the projects to find the errors before they go to the publisher, but sometimes something still gets missed, or even the publisher can make a typo, reverse a diagram etc. magazine editors sometimes change a pattern to fit the allowed space in the magazine and don’t realize they left out something important— it’s not always the designer’s error. errors happen. When an error is found don’t get upset- accept we are all human. Contact the designer & let them know. Often they have a place on their website for corrections. They appreciate you finding it and try to fix ASAP.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I used a free paper piecing pattern of a snowflake design which I found on the web. It was my first attempt at paper piecing. The pattern produced mirror images of what it was supposed to! I thought it was my fault after I tried twice and got the same result. So I brought the pattern to a friend's house (who had done pp'ing before) and had her give it a try. Same result - mirror image.

I probably should contact the author. What I don't understand is she has comments on her web page written by people who used the pattern and were successful with it.

I don't know the answer but I do know that Missouri Star is a great place to do business with. They get most of mine!!! Very personalized service !!

Didn't know msqc is offering free pattern on 4x4 design......is it on website?

Blog Entries
    With paper piecing, I do mine with freezer paper ironed on to the back of fabric, so I make a mirror image of the pattern. Perhaps that's the reason why your pattern is. Certainly, though, the makers should explain that.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Same thing with recipes. Used to be you got recipes from cookbooks, which were all kitchen-tested and proof-read for accuracy. Now anybody can post any recipe they want on the internet. Drives me crazy when it says 1/2 of this or 1/4 of that. 1/4 what - teaspoon?? cup?? Come on.

I haven't bought any books in years other than Bonnie Hunters, but if I bought/buy a book I go to the publisher and/or makers website and look in errata
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/07/errata.html
    print out and tape on the pattern page.

People are human

Contact the designer & let them know. Often they have a place on their website for corrections. They appreciate you finding it and try to fix ASAP.
    Not from my experience in asking about a possible mistake in a pattern. No appreciation bringing it to their attention, just the opposite. Now I don't bother, just don't buy their patterns or books anymore.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

All of them? I find too many errors. Connecting Threads is notorious for them...I called one time because there was no errata page or correction for a pattern I had. Oh the attitude!!! It took me forever to get through to them that there were two HUGE errors in the pattern....they still haven't fixed it. I offered the solution and they still didn't care. The main girl I spoke to insisted I was wrong. The pattern is no longer available. Hmph...

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Not from my experience in asking about a possible mistake in a pattern. No appreciation bringing it to their attention, just the opposite. Now I don't bother, just don't buy their patterns or books anymore.
    Exactly my experience too...don't care and treat you like your stupid and wrong and you obviously have no idea what on earth you're talking about.

This is why you should always make a test block.

More importantly, if you bought a kit, use fabric from your stash to make the test block. If there is a problem, you don't want to run out of the kit's fabric.
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    It surprises me at the number of errors in patterns for not only quilting but knitting & crochet as well. They are supposed to have several testers to test the patterns before they are published. You would think at least one of them would find the error & bring it to the authors attention.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
    They are supposed to have several testers to test the patterns before they are published.
    Yes but who pays for that? And who enforces it?

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Didn't know msqc is offering free pattern on 4x4 design......is it on website?
    Here you go ..hope this helps.

https://d2v8skpstyl8bm.cloudfront.ne...+X+4+Final.pdf
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Sassylass View Post
    Does the pattern in this link have the error corrected?

I take MSQ Block magazine. On their web site, they have corrections to the patterns in each book. I wondered why they could not figure out there was a problem or error before printing. At least they owned up to the error and made it right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
    It surprises me at the number of errors in patterns for not only quilting but knitting & crochet as well. They are supposed to have several testers to test the patterns before they are published. You would think at least one of them would find the error & bring it to the authors attention.
    Oh my goodness yes!! It's rare that they ever own up to it though.
    'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo. 'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.' ~Gandalf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast