Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Weight watchers program (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/weight-watchers-program-t294247.html)

Chasing Hawk 01-22-2018 03:57 PM

Weight watchers program

A few questions.........

Can I prepare foods myself instead of theirs?
I looked at other food plans (South Beach, Jenny Craig) and their food prices total to 2 months of our grocery bill. We don't like alot of processed foods, I cook our sandwich meats (beef roasts or turkey breasts). I bake our fries instead of deep frying, roast steam or saute our veggies.

What about beverages such as diet coke or diet 7 up?

How are juices on this diet? Husband and I love grapefruit and orange juice.

I plan on buying a good food scale also I am not shy about measuring out snacks.....pretzels, nuts, cookies etc into 1 potion sized baggies.

EIQuilter 01-22-2018 04:29 PM

The WW plan is designed for you to use your own foods - you can buy theirs if you want, but we've been on it and haven't bought any of their food. The current Freestyle program is based on a point system (with a lot of zero-point foods available). Diet sodas have no points, but fruit juices do have points (however, most fruits are zero-point, so maybe you could have those instead of your juice).

QuiltE 01-22-2018 05:48 PM

Yes, you can eat your own foods ............
Although you would make Oprah even happier if you bought hers/theirs! :)

lwbuchholz 01-23-2018 07:55 AM

There is a weight watchers online and I think there are options where you can enroll and if it doesn't work you can stop. There are trial versions. I did one of the older WW programs and it was a good one. I just got tired of them changing their program every 2 years and having to buy new materials. I still use the older version. I can say it is a good program especially to teach you portion sizes and to make you aware of what you are eating. I think you will like it.
Lynda

MarleneC 01-23-2018 08:26 AM

It was pointed out to me years ago that Weight Watcher foods contain a lot of sodium. That may have changed. But, as someone else stated Oprah would be more than happy if you bought them.

Chasing Hawk 01-23-2018 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7988193)
Yes, you can eat your own foods ............
Although you would make Oprah even happier if you bought hers/theirs! :)

LOL......I doubt she even eats the food.

I rather cook from scratch then buy over priced "diet food" any day.

We just have to train ourselves to measure and use portion control when preparing meals. I really appreciate all the responses so far.

QuiltE 01-23-2018 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 7988751)
LOL......I doubt she even eats the food. ................

:thumbup: :D ....................

BARES 01-23-2018 05:32 PM

If you are on facebook there are several good groups just for WW. There are some other good groups like SparkPeople, Skinnytaste and if you are wanting to avoid the WW fee, there is Itrackbites that is a one time charge that works like WW as far as tracking your food. I am just following the FB sites for support and recipes but not the points. I've lost 70 pounds. There is a WW Freestyle site on FB also. Some people follow the old points plus, some the smart points and others follow the simply filling program. You will find support for all the programs.

quiltingshorttimer 01-23-2018 08:04 PM

when you enroll in WW a nice feature that is part of your fee is a downloadable app for your phone and when you go to grocery you can scan the bar code and it gives you the points values--it's amazing how different brands can be different! Or you can track your points on a smart phone or tablet--I never did that cause I'm a bit "technically challenged" but loved the store feature. I've done WW a couple times--first time I lost 60 lbs and learned a lot about eating healthy--2nd time with DH who lost a lot but I cheated too much. Now I basically will use the same theory of eating healthy--and most veggies and fruits are zero points!

sewingsuz 01-23-2018 08:19 PM

I have been on WW since the end of August. I like the smart points system. They just changed to free style but I am following what I started with which is the smart points. It has been good for me and I don't buy any of their boxed food. It is rather pricey. When I am good about the writing down what I eat and stay within the points I lose. Sometimes if I get off track I only lose maybe 1/2 pound. The holidays are rough. I have been on for 5 months and have lost 25 lbs.