Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-have-your-quilts-quilted-t294362.html)

Watson 01-27-2018 10:59 AM

How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted?

Reading another thread about this topic, a member mentioned that most of the members of her guild send their quilts out for longarming or own a longarm themselves. I was surprised by this and it made me wonder if this was the usual.

So, how do you have your quilts quilted? Do you...

Do it yourself on your domestic

Do it yourself on your own longarm

Send it to a longarmer.

Other....

Watson

SusieQOH 01-27-2018 11:02 AM

I'm trying to get good at FMQ right now. I've always been a hand quilter and still love it.
I also send quilts out to MSQC or Charisma.
I probably wouldn't get a long arm. I'm just not interested but I love the results so I send them. I hope to get fairly decent on my Juki.

Watson, how about you?

cjsews 01-27-2018 11:06 AM

I will occasionally send a special quilt out to a longarmer. It does get expensive. As most of my quilts are for family or charity, I do my own quilting on my DSM. Not good with FMQ but I can do a decent job with a walking foot

Tothill 01-27-2018 11:18 AM

I bought a second hand HQ 16 to quilt with. I am lucky to have more than enough room in my home for 'Diana'. I took several courses on quilting on a domestic machine, but I could not get the hang of it.

fruitloop 01-27-2018 11:35 AM

I belong to a 64 member guild and seems all including me, have their quilts quilted by a longarmer or have the means to machine quilt themselves. Not many still do handquilting but some like it to relax but still have most of their quilts machined quilted. I know of 24 members that have their own long arm set up. A few do it for business but most do it for just themselves. I don't think it's unbelievable that so many have long arm machines. Many are very reasonable in price now. I think it is the space needed more then cost of one for most.

helou 01-27-2018 11:40 AM

I handquilted my couple of first quilts because I wanted to learn the "old way". my thumb on my right hand really hurts now so I do very little hand quilting. Therefore I do it on my DSM. I have no intention for now... to have them quilted on a long arm even if I like how it turns out... just a personal preference to have it as it used to be done plus I would not have the space for it.

QuiltnNan 01-27-2018 11:43 AM

i've had longarms, but no room now. so i'm trying to get better at fmq and ruler work on my dsm. my go to favorite for donation quilts is the elongated serpentine stitch.

meyert 01-27-2018 11:46 AM

I have sent three out to be quilted on a longarm. One was a wedding gift and two were to be raffle prizes so I just wanted the quilting to be a good job (which it was :) )

Other than that I quilt my own on my Janome 6600. I do a mix of straight line quilting and FMQing. I do feel better knowing that I did everything on the quilts myself

Dolphyngyrl 01-27-2018 11:51 AM

I have done all of the above

PaperPrincess 01-27-2018 12:05 PM

I started with various QAYG methods, then got a long arm.