Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! My June Taylor Shape Cut Just Broke-UGH (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-my-june-taylor-shape-cut-just-broke-ugh-t296226.html)

SillySusan 04-14-2018 06:10 PM

Help! My June Taylor Shape Cut Just Broke-UGH

Another one of my June Taylor Shape Cut thingies just broke. I picked it up wrong, I guess, and it broke off at the 12" slot. It isn't the first one that did it. Sometimes they broke because it was cut bit-by-bit by the rotary blade. They are so flimsy and I have to be careful to keep the squares from getting wonky. I promise I won't buy another one, but cutting without the slots, the rotary blade takes different directions on me. Talk about wonky. Sometimes I end up in a different neighborbood.

Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Dina 04-14-2018 06:48 PM

I broke my June Taylor Shape Cut at the 12" slot about 5 years ago. I duck taped it back on, and it has continued working for me. You might give that a try. I broke it off on each side, so each side has duct tape. (I used blue duct tape...sort of pretty. :) ) You know, now that I think about it, I think I set it on the oversized cushioned chair in my sewing room and then I sat on it. I broke it really well....)

Some of my slots are flimsy too. Let me try to describe what I do, as I can't cut anything with just a regular ruler. I just can't.

Okay, pretend you are cutting at the 2 inch slot. I take a small regular ruler....usually the one that is 4" by 9". I lay that on top of the June Taylor, slightly covering the 2 1/2 inch slot, or even closer to the 2 inch slot. I just hold it down, sort of stabilizing it, before I cut. I think this has kept my June Taylor ruler alive. I guess any thing might work as a stabilizer, but I have lots of rulers, so I just use what is close.

Hope this is helpful.

Dina

Jane Quilter 04-14-2018 07:31 PM

I got a really old June Taylor cutter, and they are thicker than the new ones. I think about replacing it until I touch the new flimsy ones. I know this doesn't help you, but I after listening to you guys, I will now be extra careful with my old friend.

SillySusan 04-15-2018 02:18 AM

Hi Dina, Good ole duct tape! I got this one taped up like the previous dozen of them. I use them until they are shattered. I like your idea for stabilizing it. I will certainly try it. Thank you!

Hi Jane, Since they are making them more flimsy by the day, I'm not going to buy a new one. I'm thinking about complaining to the company, -- probably a waste of time, but it'll make me feel better.

Geri B 04-15-2018 03:48 AM

I certainly would let the company know that you are unhappy with their new productions, and will look elsewhere for a replacement. Btw...mine are the older ones, so if and when they are unusable I will remmber this thread.....

pocoellie 04-15-2018 03:50 AM

I super glued mine about 10 years ago and it's still holding good. Love my June Tailor!

luvstoquilt 04-15-2018 04:24 AM

Wha would we do without duct tape, super glue and epoxy? Lol

Onebyone 04-15-2018 04:53 AM

The Stripology slotted ruler is sturdier then the JT one.

Wanabee Quiltin 04-15-2018 05:15 AM

I have the JT from about 13 years ago and love it. Mine is very strong still.

Feather3 04-15-2018 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by SillySusan (Post 8040815)
Another one of my June Taylor Shape Cut thingies just broke. I picked it up wrong, I guess, and it broke off at the 12" slot. It isn't the first one that did it. Sometimes they broke because it was cut bit-by-bit by the rotary blade. They are so flimsy and I have to be careful to keep the squares from getting wonky. I promise I won't buy another one, but cutting without the slots, the rotary blade takes different directions on me. Talk about wonky. Sometimes I end up in a different neighborbood.

Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Yes. E-mail the company & let them know you are very dissatisfied with their product. Maybe they will send you a new one.