Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Cheap and Easy Design Wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/cheap-easy-design-wall-t298096.html)

luvstoquilt301 07-07-2018 07:17 AM

Cheap and Easy Design Wall

1 Attachment(s)
We recently moved and my sewing studio is much bigger. I saw a design wall on the internet somewhere and decided to give it a try. I put up a thread caused Forced Move.

It is made with insulation board available a places like Home Depot. The sheets are 4 x 8 and would not fit in my car. I bought 2 and had the guy cut them in half. The were $8.00 a piece.

I covered them with the cheapest cotton batting that I owned. I should have used the silver side and the writing would not have shown thru. I was not taking it off as I attached them with duct tape. I mounted them on the wall with the Command Picture hanging strips.

The result in a fabulous design wall for me.

Jordan 07-07-2018 09:22 AM

Great idea and not a lot of money had to be spent. Thank you for sharing your creative idea.

MOBRIDGE MOM 07-07-2018 09:23 AM

This is exactly what I did for my design wall only I used a light nylon or poly grey felt. Have had it for over 5 years and it still works great. If I ever have to replace the felt I will go the batting way.

QuiltNama 07-07-2018 11:08 AM

My design wall is the same as what you did except I used flannel with 2" squares printed on it. It's been going strong for 14 years

cashs_mom 07-07-2018 02:25 PM

I did the same design wall many years ago only with flannel. I also did one of the boards backwards with the letters showing. Some day I'll put another layer to flannel on it to cover it up. Maybe.

dunster 07-07-2018 06:33 PM

I used insulation board too, but I didn't have any empty wall space in my quilting room, so the design wall wound up in the one-car garage. The house has two separate garages, the other for two cars, so I'm pretending this one is my design room, not a garage.:rolleyes:

WMUTeach 07-08-2018 03:20 AM

I have one of these that I inherited from my sister-in-law. She covered it with white flannel and the board is at leat 20 years old and likely older. I do not know when she purchased the insulation sheet. But it is perfect, light weight, and portable, because of the size of my room, I have not attached it to the wall. I use a clothes brush every now and again to clean off those pesky little threads and it is as good as new. I see years and years of use ahead.

Rhonda K 07-08-2018 04:15 AM

Great design for your board. I love that they will cut them for you. Of course quilters know to cut things down to size.
Congrats on the bigger sewing studio too.

sJens 07-08-2018 08:48 AM

Like this idea--thanks for sharing.

Battle Axe 07-08-2018 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]597443[/ATTACH]I also used two 4 x 8 sheets one inch thick insulation covered in light blue flannel. Works great.