Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cheap and Easy Design Wall

Cheap and Easy Design Wall

We recently moved and my sewing studio is much bigger. I saw a design wall on the internet somewhere and decided to give it a try. I put up a thread caused Forced Move.

It is made with insulation board available a places like Home Depot. The sheets are 4 x 8 and would not fit in my car. I bought 2 and had the guy cut them in half. The were $8.00 a piece.

I covered them with the cheapest cotton batting that I owned. I should have used the silver side and the writing would not have shown thru. I was not taking it off as I attached them with duct tape. I mounted them on the wall with the Command Picture hanging strips.

The result in a fabulous design wall for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great idea and not a lot of money had to be spent. Thank you for sharing your creative idea.

Blog Entries
    This is exactly what I did for my design wall only I used a light nylon or poly grey felt. Have had it for over 5 years and it still works great. If I ever have to replace the felt I will go the batting way.
    As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

My design wall is the same as what you did except I used flannel with 2" squares printed on it. It's been going strong for 14 years

I did the same design wall many years ago only with flannel. I also did one of the boards backwards with the letters showing. Some day I'll put another layer to flannel on it to cover it up. Maybe.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I used insulation board too, but I didn't have any empty wall space in my quilting room, so the design wall wound up in the one-car garage. The house has two separate garages, the other for two cars, so I'm pretending this one is my design room, not a garage.

I have one of these that I inherited from my sister-in-law. She covered it with white flannel and the board is at leat 20 years old and likely older. I do not know when she purchased the insulation sheet. But it is perfect, light weight, and portable, because of the size of my room, I have not attached it to the wall. I use a clothes brush every now and again to clean off those pesky little threads and it is as good as new. I see years and years of use ahead.

Great design for your board. I love that they will cut them for you. Of course quilters know to cut things down to size.
    Congrats on the bigger sewing studio too.

Like this idea--thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Name:  20180701_121728_resized_1.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  292.6 KBI also used two 4 x 8 sheets one inch thick insulation covered in light blue flannel. Works great.

my easy to remove design wall

I too used flannel over my insulation board.But found that the flannel on the bottom half isn't as "grabby" as the flannel on the top half. I think I am going to redo the board and try it with felt. But I do love it, I had done mine about 6 years ago when I realized how expensive those fancy design boards were, and a sheet of insulation was less than $10. And then there was the $120 for the roll-down like a window shade! No thanks.
    I mounted mine on a piece of board and attached hooks to it. Then put anchors in the wall above the closet and hung it there, easy to remove if I need to get in the closet. And simple to remove the anchors when I am ready to sell my house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 07-08-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: oops - forgot to put up the pix
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

I have the same design wall, I used flannel.
    Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small parts. Henry Ford

I made mine the same, with batting, but I don't glue it down. Instead , I just pin it on. Sometimes that piece has just been the right size (and last piece) I had to use. Originally my plan was to mount the 4 boards to the wall, but I soon discovered I like them to be portable.

I have no room, so I use my double bed. Works great for me and it is free. We do need a place to sleep anyway
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Thanks for such a great way to make a design wall!

Blog Entries
    I have one similar to yours that I inherited when someone in my guild enlarged theirs. I would like a larger one but I am out of room. I love it because sometimes when I have larger pieces with lots of seams they don't want to stick like the should and I can just stick pins in it like a bulletin board.
    I just took over another bedroom in my house, my DS moved out and bought a house. I was gifted an older model longarm. I plan to put a larger design wall in there someday.

Wowza! This is awsome! I used the insulation panels years ago for blocking knitted sweaters, that stuff has a Lot of uses! LOL
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-12-2018 at 03:22 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

We used the same material, covered in white flannel and mounted on 2 room dividers I got at an estate sale. They can be folded and put away, not like that ever happens. Originally fastened with wood screws. Construction adhesive is the way to go.