Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Forced Move-Happy Ending

Forced Move-Happy Ending

We live in Phoenix in a cute little rental house for 5 1/2 years. We received a phone call from our property manager that the house was sold. He or I did not even know it was on the market. A former tenant contacted the owners and they sold it to him. No one even walked through it. We had to be out in 5 weeks.

Sheer panic set in to find a place and get moved in that short time. We have a local internet type chat line called Nextdoor. We found a house right up the street from us that was move in ready. We had to jump through hoops with this management company but have a great credit rating and are ideal tenants. This house is a bit more in rent but much nicer with covered parking. That is great in Phoenix. Cars can turn into an oven.

My husband decided he wanted the good sized second bedroom for a TV/den. I had my HQ16 set up in our living room and it was noisy. This meant that I could have the HUGE living room for all my quilting stuff. Everything could be in one room.

My previous sewing room was 8 x 8 but had a good sized closet for all my fabric. We put shelves in it. I was shocked at how much fabric I own. Most of it is given to me as I am a charity quilter. It is now going to live in bookcases in the big room. I purged some and it is going to other charity quilters.

When you move you are forced to touch everything you own. We donated stuff left and right. The end result will be a wonderful new place for us. I will get pics of my sewing Studio---it is big enough to call it that now.

Power Poster
    Glad it is working out well for you.

I am still amazed at how much stuff can be pulled out of one drawer or one closet!

Sounds like a great move for both you and your DH. Moving does require some serious reflection about what we have acquired. Enjoy your new everything is one room studio.

Power Poster
    ​Congratulations on your new sewing space!

Glad your story had a happy ending. It's a good thing to weed out stuff periodically, even though you had no choice!

Sounds like this is a wonderful move for you! Congrats on your new quilting 'studio'. See, sometimes when we think something that happens will be bad, it works out for the best!! Very best wishes for y'all and your new home!

WHoa! Five weeks?? Was that short turn-around time even in your lease agreement? I guess it is 30 days in most cases, but still, if I had good tenants, I would certainly try to give them more time to find a new place and move out.

Glad you found a great alternative--even better than what you had. Sometimes I think I should be given a deadline for dealing with our 31.5 years of accumulated crap. We are looking to move in 2.5-3 years when hubby retires. It might take all of that just to purge the garage. HA!

I admire your positive attitude through all this. A move does require re-evaluation and re-alignment of our daily life. Good luck to you and your family.

You have a great attitude about the move, Glad it all worked out for you and DH---win---win! Congrats on your new sewing space too.

Wow, talk about stress? So happy it all worked out and you get a great sewing studio! You have a wonderful attitude.

Blog Entries
    Wow! “ One door shuts and another one opens”. Can’t wait to see pictures!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    Sometimes change is for the best...I’m glad that your unexpected moving experience has some great benefits. Can’t wait to see photos of your new space.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    So glad to hear it all worked out well. I always say I will never move again. We really need to downsize, but we like our first floor plan. We have a 6 BR house now for just the 2 of us. Most of the houses that are what we would want cost too much. We would like to retire in about 5 years and this one is paid for.
    I keep telling my DH I want to knock down the wall and combine 2 BR to enlarge my sewing room. He says we can't afford to do that as I would have to buy more stuff to fill it. My sewing room is pretty large now 14 x 15. I also have my longarm that I need to learn how to use in another bedroom.

Glad you were flexible in this life altering event. But it's so hot!!!!! LOL

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your new studio. Seems like both you and your hubby made lemonade when you were given lemons. Good job!
    JudyG

As we age (hubs and I) I am giving away lots oft stuff. I am passing along kitchen tools, pans, pots, dishes, etc. I think my grands can use lots of my stuff now. A granddaughter and her boat captain lost EVERYTHING during Hurricane Irma. I have given her much of my extra stuff to help them get back into their business.

Everything happens for a reason and your story seems to have a happy ending. So glad for you.

Congratulations on your move and setting up your new sewing room. I can't wait to see the pictures and be inspired!

We were in a similar situation and had to move in a very short time. We couldn't find another rental that "I" was willing to pay the price for, so we searched for a house to buy. We found a temporary place that we thought would do for a while and signed the contract. That was 24 years ago and we are still in our temporary home and we love it. We plan on being here until we move 6' under.
    I aspire to inspire before I expire. LT

Sometimes the worst things turn out well. The process of paring down is not something anyone looks forward to, but your story proves how valuable and freeing it can be. Thanks for sharing your story. Enjoy your new home with covered parking and room for your quilting.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Blog Entries
    I have move coming in few months and have started attacking the pieces I have saved and decided to throw out any smaller than 2 1/2" and was amazed how many trash cans I filled but it all takes so much time.

Glad your situation has turned out for the better for you & hubby. Congrats on the new sewing space too!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Horray for a new sewing space!

FYI. Goodwill, etc. take all fabric. The fabric is recycled. Doesn't matter the size so can take small pieces in a large bag and tie it and it will not go in a landfill here or shipped somewhere. I save all my scraps and then take when decluttering house.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeyes View Post
    I have move coming in few months and have started attacking the pieces I have saved and decided to throw out any smaller than 2 1/2" and was amazed how many trash cans I filled but it all takes so much time.

Congratulations. I hope your new home is all you could want. What a quick turn around and with no notice. Wow!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast