Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   My New Design Wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/my-new-design-wall-t298843.html)

JudyG 08-11-2018 08:09 AM

My New Design Wall

4 Attachment(s)
Hubby and I just finished my new design wall. This is what I have wanted for several years and we just now got it done. When we moved into this house five years ago, we removed the doors off the closet in my sewing room so I had access to the bins of fabric I had in there. The closet runs across the entire width of my room, but has a pillar in the center so there were two sets of sliding doors, which made it inconvenient to pull out the bins that were in the center of each side of the closet. I had a portable design wall which I was always having to slide behind the door to my room and put behind my ironing table so it would not fall over. Anyway, we put up a barn door rail system, with a 66 x 84 sheet of plywood covered in batting on it. I can move it all the way to either side and have access the other side of the closet or keep it centered (which is where I have it whenever I'm using it). It slides so nice and easy. I absolutely love it. Not sure why we waited so long to get it done! Please ignore my finger at the bottom of the picture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599307[/ATTACH]

Monika 08-11-2018 09:05 AM

Very cool! I am jealous, but more I happy for you. BTW...love the quilt on it.

osewme 08-11-2018 09:19 AM

That is totally awesome! What a brilliant idea.

Tartan 08-11-2018 09:34 AM

​Wonderful idea and design wall!

JudyG 08-11-2018 09:50 AM

Not sure why so many pictures showed up there. Sorry. And sideways too. Who knows!

Barb in Louisiana 08-11-2018 03:53 PM

Very neat system & really pretty quilt.

j50 08-12-2018 04:00 AM

Did you use 2 sets of rails over both doors. How was the installation and how thick is your plywood and how stable is it when you press your cloth onto the design wall?

I will have the same situation soon and this looks like a fabulous idea.

thanks for posting.

luvstoquilt 08-12-2018 04:34 AM

I am waiting for my Texas son to come visit. He always does projects for me and this is on my list. My friend in Florida has one similar. I know you will enjoy that and by the way, I made that quilt too!❤️

Battle Axe 08-12-2018 04:45 AM

Do you have the plywood directly behind the flannel covering? This is just a suggestion: take the flannel off and glue onto the plywood a same size sheet of one inch blue insulation. Then put the flannel back on the insulation. That way you can shove pins directly into the wall. You can also stick things that are not too heavy onto the flannel. You say there is a layer of batting under the flannel, but I'm not sure that is thick enough to pin to.

You adaptation of the sliding rail is genius.

Marcia

j50 08-12-2018 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe (Post 8109920)
Do you have the plywood directly behind the flannel covering? This is just a suggestion: take the flannel off and glue onto the plywood a same size sheet of one inch blue insulation. Then put the flannel back on the insulation. That way you can shove pins directly into the wall. You can also stick things that are not too heavy onto the flannel. You say there is a layer of batting under the flannel, but I'm not sure that is thick enough to pin to.

You adaptation of the sliding rail is genius.

Marcia

That was what I also had in mind was to use insulation board either on top of wood or in place of. If in place of I wonder how flimsy it would be. Would it be pushed back when pinned into?