Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another tip I found for all who tie their comforters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-tip-i-found-all-who-tie-their-comforters-t301568.html)

gailpe2018 12-14-2018 11:50 AM

Another tip I found for all who tie their comforters

I sometimes use DMC thread to tie my comforters and the thread gets tangled. I read someplace about using a fabric softener sheet to run along the thread. It doesn't tangle. :-) Also a great tip for those who do embroidery.

nativetexan 12-14-2018 12:08 PM

hmmmm, i just found if i put a tiny bit of water on the post end of my earrings, they go into my ears much easier! go figure. just some good info for the day.
i tied a quilt with embroidery thread once. surgeon's knot. some came apart. i had to do it over with yarn. But I did one not too long ago with yarn and it wasn't nice looking after washing. cheap yarn?

gailpe2018 12-14-2018 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 8176444)
hmmmm, i just found if i put a tiny bit of water on the post end of my earrings, they go into my ears much easier! go figure. just some good info for the day.
i tied a quilt with embroidery thread once. surgeon's knot. some came apart. i had to do it over with yarn. But I did one not too long ago with yarn and it wasn't nice looking after washing. cheap yarn?

I have tied all my comforters. I can't machine quilt and can't afford to send them out. I've used yard and DMC and the thicker thread they sell that I can't think of the name and haven't had any problems with any of them. I always wash my finished products and they look fine to me. I haven't had any complaints from any I sent to family and I'm sure they would let give them back for me to fix if it didn't hold. lol

Neat trick on the earrings. :-)

SillySusan 12-14-2018 02:44 PM

I tie most of the baby quilts I make with the full 6 strands of embroidery floss and tie it with 3, instead of 2, loops and the finish by tying again with the regular way to tie. I never had a problem. Along time ago I tried to use yarn, but never could get the needle threaded. If I used a very large needle I couldn't get it thru the fabric and batting. :)

quiltedsunshine 12-14-2018 07:05 PM

That's a great idea! I could see how a fabric softener sheet could make a big difference. Thanks!

WANNABEE 12-14-2018 07:09 PM

I also usually tie baby quilts. I use crochet thread/yarn.

Daylesewblessed 12-15-2018 09:05 AM

Working with my church sewing group, we use crochet thread on the Lutheran World Relief quilts. I have brought a small pair of pliers to use to pull the needle through on occasion. Then a lady in our church who runs an embroidery shop gave us chenille needles, and it has made all of the difference in the world. They come in different sizes, but the eyes are easier to thread, and the needles are strong.

Here is what LWR says in their instructions about ties: Crochet cord or embroidery floss is easier and sturdier
for tying. You may use yarn, but pay attention to the quality to ensure a sturdy quilt.

tranum 12-15-2018 04:41 PM

Opinion needed. We use only crochet thread to tie mission quilts. Is 2 “bites” of fabric before knotting enough, or should there be a third one ? Some of the “bites” are 1/2 inch which I think is plenty big.

Theresa 12-16-2018 05:43 AM

Another little help to keep the knots from untying is to just add a small drop of "Fray Check". This will help keep the knots from undoing themselves.

As for the "bites" of thread (see message above): Once the knot is completed I cut at about 1". If it is too much longer you'll get a "ponytail" when washed.

coopah 12-16-2018 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 8176970)
Opinion needed. We use only crochet thread to tie mission quilts. Is 2 “bites” of fabric before knotting enough, or should there be a third one ? Some of the “bites” are 1/2 inch which I think is plenty big.

If you tie the knot with a surgeon's knot, it won't come undone. I use two surgeon's knots with every tie. No problems.

If you do an internet search for "surgeon's knots," there are some good explanations.