Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   thought I found treasure: 189A Adler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/thought-i-found-treasure-189a-adler-t301631.html)

leonf 12-17-2018 12:28 PM

thought I found treasure: 189A Adler

2 Attachment(s)
I was in a thrift today and saw this Adlermatic. German, cast iron zig zgeer, with extra feet.
woohooo Till I looked more closely. The timing belt was shredded.
A few strands were holding, but you can see some above the base. I can't find that anyone sells belts.
Sigh.[ATTACH=CONFIG]605464[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]605465[/ATTACH]

At least I got this one rotated correctly.

Macybaby 12-17-2018 01:23 PM

what kind of belt does it take? there was a guy making the cogged belts that the Pfaff took, and some of these other machines take something very similar.

Mickey2 12-17-2018 01:30 PM

I think I have tracked this down once before, to a single seller in Germany who has new cleated (cogged?) belts. On the same subject; there are pictures of serviced Adlers with a new type black rubber belt, I guess it's mostly about finding the right dimensions, circumference as well as distance between the coggs.

Mickey2 12-17-2018 01:38 PM

Here is the place, but looks like it is in France, not Germany. There is a discussion on this on a German forum, if I understand it correctly some track down belts with the right space for the metal clips and then shorten it to a suitable size, both the metal and rubber version, how exactly I'm not sure.

Macybaby 12-18-2018 07:08 AM

that looks like the same belt as used by the Pfaff - you may want to do some searching on eBay and see if the guy is still making and selling them.

leonf 12-18-2018 07:31 AM

I did some looking last night. My high school German wasn't up to the task. Beyond Peugeot, Motobecane and Renault, my French is sorely lacking, Oui?

I'll try again. I was drained last night.

themadpatter 02-29-2020 03:48 PM

Leon, how did this search end up? There's an Adler 153 with the cool parlor cabinet with the built-in chair I have my eye on. It needs the belt and a bobbin holder. But it's only $39.50, soooo....

rfgslc 05-19-2020 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8177851)
I was in a thrift today and saw this Adlermatic. German, cast iron zig zgeer, with extra feet.
woohooo Till I looked more closely. The timing belt was shredded.
A few strands were holding, but you can see some above the base. I can't find that anyone sells belts.
Sigh.[ATTACH=CONFIG]605464[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]605465[/ATTACH]

At least I got this one rotated correctly.

Just bought a very nice Adler 189A, but the timing belt was a few nylon threads. Lots of research on the internet told me that the Duerkopp-Adler company no longer makes these belts. I wrote them today, nevertheless. However, I found this email address in Italy that has the belt in its catalog. Email is: [email protected]. Waiting for their answer and price. Belt number is 0053 002140 (KL 153) in their catalog. When I hear from them, I'll post the results.

leonf 05-20-2020 06:06 AM

I have enough machines that I just put this one on the shelf and said, "Maybe when I retire." We'll see.

\Thanks rfgsic.

+socoso 06-16-2020 05:38 PM

I have two of these in good shape but the hard part is finding all the attachments and cams.