Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting the Sandwich Technique Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-sandwich-technique-question-t302095.html)

Quilting_Witch 01-07-2019 01:25 PM

Quilting the Sandwich Technique Question

Hey Folks!

I am adding a border to a quilt for the first time. I'm going to be doing a different quilting pattern on the main body of the quilt than I am on the border. Would you recommend that I stitch in the ditch around the main body of the quilt between the body and the border before quilting the main body?

That would seem to make the most sense to me, but sometimes the fabric crawls as you're quilting it. I'm afraid I might get wrinkles and puckers around the edges of the main body.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Tartan 01-07-2019 01:47 PM

How are you basting your sandwich? If you are using fusible batting or 505, it shouldn’t move much. If you are using any other method, stitching between the body and the border will probably cause trouble for you. I always stitch from the center of the sandwich outwards so that any creeping of top or back goes to the edge. If you have already stitched the border then you may end up with a ridge of fabric there.

Pat M. 01-07-2019 01:49 PM

If I am quilting on a regular machine I start from the center and quilt out to the edges, I pin every 3-4" so the quilt top does not shift. Sometimes you do have to smooth out as you go, remove pins and smooth, re-pin if necessary. There are UTube videos, look at them. Practice, practice, practice.

Quilting_Witch 01-07-2019 01:59 PM

Thank you, Tartan. I usually pin. I've tried basting spray a couple of times in the past, and while it holds everything together really well, it also got all over my machine and all over my gloves. I'd really rather not use that again. Normally I do start in the middle and work my way out, but I'm doing a horizontal wave pattern this time, and I'm not exactly sure what my best line of attack should be.

Going to see if I can post a picture of the pattern I want to use. I did a quick sketch to give myself an idea of how it would look. Having trouble uploading it from my phone, so I'll try moving it over to my computer. Give me a minute!

maryb119 01-07-2019 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting_Witch (Post 8188564)
Thank you, Tartan. I usually pin. I've tried basting spray a couple of times in the past, and while it holds everything together really well, it also got all over my machine and all over my gloves. I'd really rather not use that again. Normally I do start in the middle and work my way out, but I'm doing a horizontal wave pattern this time, and I'm not exactly sure what my best line of attack should be.

Going to see if I can post a picture of the pattern I want to use. I did a quick sketch to give myself an idea of how it would look. Having trouble uploading it from my phone, so I'll try moving it over to my computer. Give me a minute!

Depends on what kind of spray you use. I use 505 and have not had a problem with it gumming up my machine. Just spray lightly.

Quilting_Witch 01-07-2019 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is 505. I was having trouble with the layers coming apart, so I upped how much I sprayed on. Must have overdone it!!

My current plan is to start with the wave in the center and work my way to one end, and turn it around and do the waves to the other end.

This is the design I want to use on this quilt. Didn't finish the sketch, as I had a pretty good idea of how it would look with what I did draw.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606358[/ATTACH]

cjsews 01-07-2019 03:52 PM

I think i would see the waves in the main part. Then stitch in the ditch around the border. You can go back and add your pebbles to inside and borders in any order you prefer after that is done

JanieW 01-07-2019 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 8188617)
I think i would see the waves in the main part. Then stitch in the ditch around the border. You can go back and add your pebbles to inside and borders in any order you prefer after that is done

This is what I would do, too.

Quilting_Witch 01-07-2019 04:58 PM

Terrific, thank you. I have a plan!

carol45 01-09-2019 08:46 AM

I would recommend sandwiching with Elmer's School Glue.