Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting the Sandwich Technique Question

Quilting the Sandwich Technique Question

Hey Folks!

I am adding a border to a quilt for the first time. I'm going to be doing a different quilting pattern on the main body of the quilt than I am on the border. Would you recommend that I stitch in the ditch around the main body of the quilt between the body and the border before quilting the main body?

That would seem to make the most sense to me, but sometimes the fabric crawls as you're quilting it. I'm afraid I might get wrinkles and puckers around the edges of the main body.

Thanks in advance for your input!
    Quilting noob here to learn!

Power Poster
    How are you basting your sandwich? If you are using fusible batting or 505, it shouldn’t move much. If you are using any other method, stitching between the body and the border will probably cause trouble for you. I always stitch from the center of the sandwich outwards so that any creeping of top or back goes to the edge. If you have already stitched the border then you may end up with a ridge of fabric there.

If I am quilting on a regular machine I start from the center and quilt out to the edges, I pin every 3-4" so the quilt top does not shift. Sometimes you do have to smooth out as you go, remove pins and smooth, re-pin if necessary. There are UTube videos, look at them. Practice, practice, practice.

Thank you, Tartan. I usually pin. I've tried basting spray a couple of times in the past, and while it holds everything together really well, it also got all over my machine and all over my gloves. I'd really rather not use that again. Normally I do start in the middle and work my way out, but I'm doing a horizontal wave pattern this time, and I'm not exactly sure what my best line of attack should be.

Going to see if I can post a picture of the pattern I want to use. I did a quick sketch to give myself an idea of how it would look. Having trouble uploading it from my phone, so I'll try moving it over to my computer. Give me a minute!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting_Witch View Post
    Thank you, Tartan. I usually pin. I've tried basting spray a couple of times in the past, and while it holds everything together really well, it also got all over my machine and all over my gloves. I'd really rather not use that again. Normally I do start in the middle and work my way out, but I'm doing a horizontal wave pattern this time, and I'm not exactly sure what my best line of attack should be.

Going to see if I can post a picture of the pattern I want to use. I did a quick sketch to give myself an idea of how it would look. Having trouble uploading it from my phone, so I'll try moving it over to my computer. Give me a minute!
    Depends on what kind of spray you use. I use 505 and have not had a problem with it gumming up my machine. Just spray lightly.

It is 505. I was having trouble with the layers coming apart, so I upped how much I sprayed on. Must have overdone it!!

My current plan is to start with the wave in the center and work my way to one end, and turn it around and do the waves to the other end.

This is the design I want to use on this quilt. Didn't finish the sketch, as I had a pretty good idea of how it would look with what I did draw.

Name:  quilting sketch small.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  556.1 KB

I think i would see the waves in the main part. Then stitch in the ditch around the border. You can go back and add your pebbles to inside and borders in any order you prefer after that is done

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    I think i would see the waves in the main part. Then stitch in the ditch around the border. You can go back and add your pebbles to inside and borders in any order you prefer after that is done
    This is what I would do, too.

Terrific, thank you. I have a plan!

Blog Entries
    I would recommend sandwiching with Elmer's School Glue.

Never have had a problem with 505. I can never not use it.

I agree with the above: do all the middle first. Then do the SID around and lastly do the border. I would really worry about puckers if you did the SID around first.

Just to update this thread--I finally finished this quilt! Life did a really good job of getting in my way, but I had a deadline to meet and I managed to find some time. Due to time constraints, I simplified the quilting pattern in the middle, but I still did all the pebbles around the edges. Typically I'm pretty critical of my finished works, but I'm actually really happy with the way this one turned out. Take a look!

Name:  Quilt 1 LR.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  1.46 MB

Name:  Quilt 2 LR.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  1.61 MB

Name:  Quilt 5 LR.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  1.27 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I love bubbles/pebbles! They take some time, but they make a great filler.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

that's a nice quilt!
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Love this quilt! The pebbles turned out nice. I also like the blue fabrics.

Thank you!

I made this quilt for my son's school paraprofessional. She has been amazing for the last two years, and now that he's moving on to jr high school, he's moving on to a new para. Yesterday was the last day of school, and I presented her with this quilt before classes started for the day. She cried, I cried, we hugged, it was wonderful.

I felt driven to make this quilt for her...I Needed to make this quilt. Then, when we composed ourselves, she told me that her sister is a quilter, and is dying of ALS. The last quilt that she was able to make was given to our para, and is on its last legs. She really wanted to put it away for safekeeping, but didn't have a good replacement for it, and was reluctant to put it away. She has sent me a pic of it (my quilt) in her den, on her rocking chair, where she sits with her sister's quilt every night. Now she's going to sit with ours and get a big hug from us every time she sits down to watch TV.

This turned out to be even more meaningful than I thought it would, and I'm so glad I was able to give her such a gift.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-13-2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

A quick note about making a jelly roll race quilt--This was my first, I found that this wasn't really any faster for me than doing any other kind of quilt. All the pressing of all those little seams takes up a ton of time. I really felt the pressing was necessary, though. I just couldn't stomach the idea of having a lumpy quilt-top!!