Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: To sandwich or not to sandwich....That is one of the questions.

  1. #1
    Super Member pennyswings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Posts
    1,578
    I am in a quandry as to what to do. This is mainly because my lack of experience so I have two questions that I need help with and since I value all your opinions here they are.
    I am two blocks shy of the 16 blocks on my Dresden Heart quilt. I did post the first two squares last month and will post them again here so you can give me advice. I am thinking about how to quilt each heart. I am going to quilt around each leaf in the heart and the center heart. Then do a echo quilting around the completed hearts. For the quilting stitchs I was thinking of doing it by hand using a colored embrodiery thread and a blanket or leaf stitch. I am also contemplating using a zig-zag machine stitch around each leaf in the heart and the center heart. So this is my first question, how should I quilt them.
    To go with this question, and most importantly, once I decide how to quilt them should I sandwich the quilt together and then quilt the hearts or should I quilt the hearts and then sandwich the quilt and do echo stitch around each completed heart?
    Thanking you all in advance,
    Penny
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    I am trying to understand what your question is. Are you planning to quilt them a block at a time (QAYG); hand quilt, or machine quilt?
    I think you need a sandwich to be able to quilt- just stitching about the design would look pretty, but .....
    I don't think I understand your question. :?
    The blocks are beautiful, BTW! :lol:

  3. #3
    Super Member lfw045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rustburg, VA (for the moment anyway)
    Posts
    1,696
    Either way will work out fine. It all depends on what you want showing on the backside....just the outline of the hearts or the actual quilting of each heart to show on the back. JMHO

  4. #4
    Super Member pennyswings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemjo
    I am trying to understand what your question is. Are you planning to quilt them a block at a time (QAYG); hand quilt, or machine quilt?
    I think you need a sandwich to be able to quilt- just stitching about the design would look pretty, but .....
    I don't think I understand your question. :?
    The blocks are beautiful, BTW! :lol:
    Maybe this will help clarify, I am not sure when you do an applique on a quilt how to quilt the applique.
    I did a baby quilt with applique of baby bears in different postions. The quilt was hexagons with the baby bears in the middle of each hexagon. On that quilt I hand quilted in a open leaf stitch around each baby bear then put the quilt together and did in the ditch around each hexagon, (see baby quilt below). I just don't know if I would have been better off putting the whole top together, sandwiching the quilt then hand quilting around the baby bears. I am concerned how the back of the quilt will look if I do the quilting around the applique after I sandwich the quilt.
    Thank you for compliments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Super Member pennyswings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    Either way will work out fine. It all depends on what you want showing on the backside....just the outline of the hearts or the actual quilting of each heart to show on the back. JMHO
    Thanks IFW045, that is really my question. How will the decorative stitch, like the blanket stitch show up on the back of the quilt? I know what it looks like on the back of one of my hand embrodierys and I want to back to look nice because I want it to be reversable. I guess I am answering my own question here. But thought those of you who do this type of quilting might have a couple of good suggestions.
    Thanks you are making me think here. :roll: Was thinking while I was cutting out the last of the appliques and needed to clarify this in my head.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Rose Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    758
    You could make a sample with two blocks and do each block a different way and see which you like better.
    Rose Hall

  7. #7
    Super Member pennyswings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Hall
    You could make a sample with two blocks and do each block a different way and see which you like better.
    Rose Hall
    Rose:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a couple of appliques where glued it to the front of the fabric instead of the back so I could use those to experiment on. Thanks again for taking the time to answer me and for the great suggestion.

  8. #8
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    love those blocks, can't wait to see it finished!


    Ninnie

  9. #9
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    One thing you may want to consider is to check your batting package to see how close your quilting stitches need to be. :wink:

  10. #10
    Super Member pennyswings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    One thing you may want to consider is to check your batting package to see how close your quilting stitches need to be. :wink:
    OMG, I never even knew they tell you that. I never read past what type of batting it is.
    Unfortunately I can not get cotton batting here (I live in Argentina, Yes Argentina!!) and it is way too expensive for me to ship so I make due with what I can get. Lately I have been using Polar Fleece because it is about the same weight and thickness of the cotton batting I am use to. My only other choice is polyester and I hate quilting with that stuff.
    Thanks for the tip. When I come back to the US in July I am going to buy two or three packages and bring it back with me and use some for this quilt. I will certainly check the packages this time.

  11. #11
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Penny...Your blocks are lovely! Only you can make the right decision for you, but when I do applique, I do the blanket stitch or whatever I am going to do to actually hold the applique in place on each individual block...prior to sandwiching the quilt.

    Then when I sandwich, I do an outline stitch right outside the outer edge of the blanket stitched applique...then continue and do whatever type of quilting I want.

    Good luck...this is going to be really pretty!

  12. #12
    Super Member pennyswings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Penny...Your blocks are lovely! Only you can make the right decision for you, but when I do applique, I do the blanket stitch or whatever I am going to do to actually hold the applique in place on each individual block...prior to sandwiching the quilt.

    Then when I sandwich, I do an outline stitch right outside the outer edge of the blanket stitched applique...then continue and do whatever type of quilting I want.

    Good luck...this is going to be really pretty!
    Thanks that is what I did on the pillow shams I made for my grandsons and on the baby quilt I made for my granddaughter. They came out great doing it that way. I am thinking of doing that here only because whether I do hand stitching or decorative machine stitching around the applique I am concerned that it will not look good on the back of the quilt. I want this quilt to be reversable so that would matter. I am glad to hear from you on this because I love your work and value your opinion.


  13. #13
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    :oops: :oops: Well thank you Penny, you are making me blush..there are tons of ladies on here with boat loads more talent than me, but thank you for saying that. :D

  14. #14
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    imho, i agree with sandpat. that's a great method. it keeps the back nice and clean.

    when you do the echo quilting i think it would look nicer in plain stitching than zigzag. the zigzag would detract from the pretty fabrics and beautiful shapes on the blocks. i would keep everything else simple. the only exception might be colored thread.

    keep on posting this. it's coming along just wonderfully! i can't wait to see it finished (and on my bed).






  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hi Penny
    If you will send me a PM with your address, I'll send you some batting. I have a big bin full in my garage that's just waiting for someone to claim it.

    Gai

  16. #16
    Super Member JoanneS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    AZ and CT
    Posts
    4,884
    Blog Entries
    1
    First, your heart blocks are absolutely gorgeous. I've never seen this version of a Dresden Plate before, and I love it :D

    My comment is about the batting. Polar fleece stretches, so pin well before quilting - every 3 inches if you have enough safety pins! I know this from sad experience :x :x :x For machine quilting, you should pin-baste - not thread baste, because threads that get caught in the machine quilting are notoriously hard to remove :cry: If you lived in the US and had access to a quilt store, I would suggest cotton batting for machine quilting (or 80% cotton, 20% poly), because I've found it works best for me. You could consider bringing that back from your next trip to the states.


  17. #17
    Super Member pennyswings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    imho, i agree with sandpat. that's a great method. it keeps the back nice and clean.

    when you do the echo quilting i think it would look nicer in plain stitching than zigzag. the zigzag would detract from the pretty fabrics and beautiful shapes on the blocks. i would keep everything else simple. the only exception might be colored thread.

    keep on posting this. it's coming along just wonderfully! i can't wait to see it finished (and on my bed).


    butterflywing:
    I agree with you both. I have decided to do the around the pieces of the hearts first and then sandwich the quilt and do a plain echo stitch around each large heart. I am following the advice one of the gals gave me and experimenting on a sample piece to see what type of quilting to do.
    I am trying hand quilting using blanket and chain stitch with regular quilting thread and then trying embrodiery thread of different thicknesses. I am also going to see how the zig-zag machine stitches look around a piece. I think the zig-zag is going to win out.
    Thanks so much for your input. Like I told Pat I really value your opinion. You all do such beautiful work and inspire me everytime I come on the forum.


  18. #18
    Super Member pennyswings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    First, your heart blocks are absolutely gorgeous. I've never seen this version of a Dresden Plate before, and I love it :D

    My comment is about the batting. Polar fleece stretches, so pin well before quilting - every 3 inches if you have enough safety pins! I know this from sad experience :x :x :x For machine quilting, you should pin-baste - not thread baste, because threads that get caught in the machine quilting are notoriously hard to remove :cry: If you lived in the US and had access to a quilt store, I would suggest cotton batting for machine quilting (or 80% cotton, 20% poly), because I've found it works best for me. You could consider bringing that back from your next trip to the states.
    Joanne:
    Thanks for your advice on the polar fleece. You are right it stretches a lot. I use the pinning method they taught me in the quilting store I use to go to. Always pin a hand width apart. I have small hands so when I make a fist I measure side width which for me is about 3 1/2 inches. The hardest time I have is with how much it stretches. It is hard to get it to lay flat and not have it stretch too much. Did my oldest grandson's Christmas quilt in that. Thank God I had a walking foot or I would never been able to quilt it. You are also right about trying to pull the stitches out, it is hard to do.
    Thank you for your tips. I really appreciate it.
    Read you and you DH are going on a cruise to Spain and France. Read the thread that Elle has been writing on about the material Terri sent her. Hope you both have a wonderful time.
    My sister who taught me to quilt name is JoAnne. Just an anticdote.

  19. #19
    Super Member pennyswings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Hi Penny
    If you will send me a PM with your address, I'll send you some batting. I have a big bin full in my garage that's just waiting for someone to claim it.

    Gai
    Gai;
    How very thoughtful of you. You are so generous to offer. I am truly moved. I sent you a PM. Kick off your shoes it is a long one but wanted to let you know how I felt.
    Thank you so much and warmest regards,


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.