Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-suggestions-t303963.html)

centerstage14 04-01-2019 09:49 AM

Machine Suggestions

I've only been quilting about six months. I own a Brother Digital Sewing Machine with Sew Steady Quilting Table, Kenmore Serger, and Janome Cover Stitch Machine. I'm looking to purchase a machine with larger throat space for quilting. I've looked at Brother 1500 and Juki 2000. I'd appreciate suggestions from experienced quilters as features to consider in a new machine to be used mostly for quilting and features that you feel are must haves. So far I've only done a little free motion quilting as I can't seem to get consistent stitch length. Thoughts on using a stitch regulator? Thanks so much!

QuiltnNan 04-01-2019 09:58 AM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)
I have the Juki 2010Q and love the way it quilts.

Doggramma 04-01-2019 10:25 AM

I like my stitch regulator. Before I had it, my stitches were ok but once in a while they’d go big or teeny weeny. I don’t think I’d like a machine that didn’t have the knee lift or the needleup/down. A larger throat space is so much nicer for FMQ. I have only Berninas which are pricey. There are cheaper options I’m sure.

rryder 04-01-2019 12:10 PM

I have a Brother PQ1500 that I used for several years as my main quilter before I got the HQSweet16. The PQ1500 is a straight stitch only machine. I still use it for piecing as it gives me an excellent scant quarter inch seam using the quarter inch foot that comes with it. It was a great FMQ machine as well. No stitch regulator, but if you practice enough, you'll probably find you don't need one. The only stitch regulators that I've tried for sit down machines and domestics are the ones that are available on Bernina domestics, Bernina sit down long arm and the Innova sit down long arm. I didn't like any of those- just didn't notice that they made much difference in the quality of my stitches.

Rob

Rob

JustAbitCrazy 04-01-2019 12:14 PM

I like a stitch regulator. Having one really shortens the learning curve.

Dolphyngyrl 04-01-2019 03:12 PM

I don't like stitch regulators, too jerry imho stitches look smoother without

Gay 04-01-2019 07:14 PM

Couldn't do without my knee-lifter, needle up/down, thread cutter, and the ability to move the needle to adjust the seam allowances. I use Brother sewing/embroidery machines and have quilted a QS before purchasing my Tin Lizzie, the only machine I have with a specific stitch regulator. That was a bit cramped when quilting the centre but it got done.

zozee 04-01-2019 07:24 PM

I have the Janome MC 8200. Love, love, love it. It has 11" throat, needle up/down, automatic thread cutter, and more (but those 3 were my must-haves). It's a dream for FMQ, smooth and quiet.

jmoore 04-02-2019 03:42 AM

Welcome to the QB...you’ll get all kinds of wonderful input here. Good luck in your decision.

SillySusan 04-02-2019 06:59 AM

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! Sorry I can't help you with making your choice of machine. I had terrible luck with the fancy ones and am back to a standard mechanical Singer and loving it. You've come to the right place because others here know about all kinds of fancy stuff. :)