Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Machine Suggestions

Question Machine Suggestions

I've only been quilting about six months. I own a Brother Digital Sewing Machine with Sew Steady Quilting Table, Kenmore Serger, and Janome Cover Stitch Machine. I'm looking to purchase a machine with larger throat space for quilting. I've looked at Brother 1500 and Juki 2000. I'd appreciate suggestions from experienced quilters as features to consider in a new machine to be used mostly for quilting and features that you feel are must haves. So far I've only done a little free motion quilting as I can't seem to get consistent stitch length. Thoughts on using a stitch regulator? Thanks so much!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    I have the Juki 2010Q and love the way it quilts.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I like my stitch regulator. Before I had it, my stitches were ok but once in a while they’d go big or teeny weeny. I don’t think I’d like a machine that didn’t have the knee lift or the needleup/down. A larger throat space is so much nicer for FMQ. I have only Berninas which are pricey. There are cheaper options I’m sure.
    Lori

I have a Brother PQ1500 that I used for several years as my main quilter before I got the HQSweet16. The PQ1500 is a straight stitch only machine. I still use it for piecing as it gives me an excellent scant quarter inch seam using the quarter inch foot that comes with it. It was a great FMQ machine as well. No stitch regulator, but if you practice enough, you'll probably find you don't need one. The only stitch regulators that I've tried for sit down machines and domestics are the ones that are available on Bernina domestics, Bernina sit down long arm and the Innova sit down long arm. I didn't like any of those- just didn't notice that they made much difference in the quality of my stitches.

Rob

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I like a stitch regulator. Having one really shortens the learning curve.

I don't like stitch regulators, too jerry imho stitches look smoother without
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't do without my knee-lifter, needle up/down, thread cutter, and the ability to move the needle to adjust the seam allowances. I use Brother sewing/embroidery machines and have quilted a QS before purchasing my Tin Lizzie, the only machine I have with a specific stitch regulator. That was a bit cramped when quilting the centre but it got done.

I have the Janome MC 8200. Love, love, love it. It has 11" throat, needle up/down, automatic thread cutter, and more (but those 3 were my must-haves). It's a dream for FMQ, smooth and quiet.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the QB...you’ll get all kinds of wonderful input here. Good luck in your decision.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! Sorry I can't help you with making your choice of machine. I had terrible luck with the fancy ones and am back to a standard mechanical Singer and loving it. You've come to the right place because others here know about all kinds of fancy stuff.

I use a treadle sewing machine, so if my lap cat sniggles on my lap, he soon leaves when I start sewing (it's very bouncy). However, he excels at causing chaos when I lay out blocks on the floor.

I have the Juki TL 2010Q for machine quilting and love it!! It's my quilting machine but it also sews a beautiful straight stitch.

I just got the Janome 9450. I love it! It has an 11” throat and comes with 1/4” accused foot with is super to use. It also come all ready for ruler quilting. This was an upgrade from a 6600P.

I have ( and love) my Brother 1500 Nouvelle. Although it is only a straight stitch machine, It has just about everything a quilter might want: large harp, good lighting, drop feed dogs, thread cutter.....and more.

Love my Brother PQ1500 for piecing and FMQ. No issues.
    Alyce

Janomes are the best bang for the buck and, according to my machine repairman, not seen often in his department.
    He said they have a metal frame and are dependable. I am a Janome girl...8900SE, 3160,6600,11000SE,Skyline 7 and 15,000. the 8900 has 11" throat and 9mm wide stitches. Since the 9400's are out, perhaps the 8900's are less.
    Best wishes on your quest.

Blog Entries
    I have a brother PQ1500 mounted on a SR2 Grace frame. While the 9" throat is smaller than I would like it fit my budget. What I really like is that it will eat any thread I feed it and doesn't whine. I rarely have to mess with the tension. I have had it about 4 yrs and have not had a single problem with it and it gets a Lot of use.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-04-2019 at 02:16 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Love my Janome 6600. Thread cutter, needle up/down, ability to move needle left and right. Has a knee lift, which I would love if I could adjust it closer to my knee

I love my Juki 2010Q, but I am getting fond of having a longarm.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

I too love my Janome 6600. A former quilt shop owner said they were absolute work horses in her shop. She was right. Love mine and the features it has for quilting. The price is not outrageous either.

Babylock JAZZ is 11 inches I think and was going for around 1800