Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: ? About the Cotton Theory

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    35
    Blog Entries
    1

    ? About the Cotton Theory

    Does anyone know Iíd there is an online tutorial or video of this process? I have the book, but am having a hard time understanding the process. When I sew the one inch seam and then fold the 1 inch seam allowance and place it on the seam line and then sew it up I get a little pleat or edge, not where I sew it up, but on the other side? Is this normal?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,958
    Blog Entries
    1
    Betty Cotton has tube video tutorials demonstrating the cotton theory technique
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    35
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    Betty Cotton has tube video tutorials demonstrating the cotton theory technique
    I havenít been able to find any videos from her showing the technique. Do you have a link?

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,365
    I did some searching for you and didn't find anything on YouTube. I did read somewhere in a 2009 thread that all Betty Cotton's demos can be watched on Nancy Zieman's website. But when I went there I didn't find them. Maybe they have been taken off since then.
    But I did find two videos of Nancy doing this on a foreign You Tube. Here's how I got there:
    On Bing I searched "Cotton Theory video" and in some boxes of pictures that appeared there's one of Nancy Zieman, "You Tube: Learn how to use your Cotton Theory quilting". Click on that picture, then double click the video that comes up. Then you'll see that video on the foreign YouTube.
    In the list of videos on the right, you'll also see one of Nancy Zieman titled, "YouTube-Learn the original quilt first then". I was able to click on that one, too, and view it. But I wasn't able to get sound on either video, maybe you can do better. Good luck. Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    35
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    I did some searching for you and didn't find anything on YouTube. I did read somewhere in a 2009 thread that all Betty Cotton's demos can be watched on Nancy Zieman's website. But when I went there I didn't find them. Maybe they have been taken off since then.
    But I did find two videos of Nancy doing this on a foreign You Tube. Here's how I got there:
    On Bing I searched "Cotton Theory video" and in some boxes of pictures that appeared there's one of Nancy Zieman, "You Tube: Learn how to use your Cotton Theory quilting". Click on that picture, then double click the video that comes up. Then you'll see that video on the foreign YouTube.
    In the list of videos on the right, you'll also see one of Nancy Zieman titled, "YouTube-Learn the original quilt first then". I was able to click on that one, too, and view it. But I wasn't able to get sound on either video, maybe you can do better. Good luck. Hope this helps.
    Thank You for your help...I got to review the videos and now I see that the seams are dimensional, which can be pretty nice for some projects. I first thought I was doing something wrong, but I guess I wasnít...Thanks Again!

  6. #6
    Senior Member geevee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    786

  7. #7
    Senior Member geevee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    786
    She demonstrates her cotton theory of seam joining at around 12:00 in the first video (this jacket has 3 parts I think). I've been wanting to make a reversible flannel jacket so these videos will come in very handy.

  8. #8
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    33,979
    I got the book years ago. I have not attempted to go any further than reading it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

  9. #9
    Power Poster Onebyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    10,604
    I took the Cotton Theory class I think in 2006 or 7. I remember having issues with the back seams. The instructor suggested we glue baste and press the seam before sewing. Be sure to use very thin batting and that your machine can handle the thickness. A few had lots of issues with their smaller portable machines.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Davenport, Iowa
    Posts
    2,139
    Is the cotton theory the same as a French Feld Seam? Such as in blue jeans or something completely different?

  11. #11
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,057
    I bought both books yrs ago and did one project using what she recommended w/double sided 1/4 inch tape...I ended up selling the books on ebay and never doing that technique again...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    35
    Blog Entries
    1

    Cotton Theory batting

    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I took the Cotton Theory class I think in 2006 or 7. I remember having issues with the back seams. The instructor suggested we glue baste and press the seam before sewing. Be sure to use very thin batting and that your machine can handle the thickness. A few had lots of issues with their smaller portable machines.
    In her book she mentions a poly/cotton batting, 80/20 that she makes, that you can iron down to make it flat so itís easier to sew, and then put it in the dryer to refluff it. I believe it was in a width of 18Ē. Not sure if this batting is still available. I saw on Jenny Beyers site she had an 18Ē batting, but not sure itís the same.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    35
    Blog Entries
    1
    Couldn’t you use flannel instead of batting, too. How would one of the new natural batting work? Wool or bamboo, silk, etc. I just like the added texture and colors and using decorative stitches. Something different.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    35
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    Is the cotton theory the same as a French Feld Seam? Such as in blue jeans or something completely different?
    I just watched a video on the French feld seam and the difference I can see is that the cotton theory only folds the seam allowance to the stitched seam line and not beyond...atleast that is my impression. She has several stitching techniques...That’s what gives it the dimensional look. One folded under edge actually isn’t stitched down. And when sewing two quilted blocks together there is no batting in the seam at all. You cut the batting 1 inch smaller all around the block...or cut the block one inch all around larger than the batting. Which would lead to adjusting a pattern to cut larger outside pieces to increase the 1/4” seam allowance to 1”. Or...You could just add a border or setting triangles, too... I guess...LOL

  15. #15
    Super Member Kitsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ridgefield WA
    Posts
    7,316
    Blog Entries
    41
    I did a google search "Cotton Theory video". There they are!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

    Kitsie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.