Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: ? About the Cotton Theory

Blog Entries

? About the Cotton Theory

Does anyone know Iíd there is an online tutorial or video of this process? I have the book, but am having a hard time understanding the process. When I sew the one inch seam and then fold the 1 inch seam allowance and place it on the seam line and then sew it up I get a little pleat or edge, not where I sew it up, but on the other side? Is this normal?
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Betty Cotton has tube video tutorials demonstrating the cotton theory technique
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    Betty Cotton has tube video tutorials demonstrating the cotton theory technique
    I havenít been able to find any videos from her showing the technique. Do you have a link?

I did some searching for you and didn't find anything on YouTube. I did read somewhere in a 2009 thread that all Betty Cotton's demos can be watched on Nancy Zieman's website. But when I went there I didn't find them. Maybe they have been taken off since then.
    But I did find two videos of Nancy doing this on a foreign You Tube. Here's how I got there:
    On Bing I searched "Cotton Theory video" and in some boxes of pictures that appeared there's one of Nancy Zieman, "You Tube: Learn how to use your Cotton Theory quilting". Click on that picture, then double click the video that comes up. Then you'll see that video on the foreign YouTube.
    In the list of videos on the right, you'll also see one of Nancy Zieman titled, "YouTube-Learn the original quilt first then". I was able to click on that one, too, and view it. But I wasn't able to get sound on either video, maybe you can do better. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    I did some searching for you and didn't find anything on YouTube. I did read somewhere in a 2009 thread that all Betty Cotton's demos can be watched on Nancy Zieman's website. But when I went there I didn't find them. Maybe they have been taken off since then.
    But I did find two videos of Nancy doing this on a foreign You Tube. Here's how I got there:
    On Bing I searched "Cotton Theory video" and in some boxes of pictures that appeared there's one of Nancy Zieman, "You Tube: Learn how to use your Cotton Theory quilting". Click on that picture, then double click the video that comes up. Then you'll see that video on the foreign YouTube.
    In the list of videos on the right, you'll also see one of Nancy Zieman titled, "YouTube-Learn the original quilt first then". I was able to click on that one, too, and view it. But I wasn't able to get sound on either video, maybe you can do better. Good luck. Hope this helps.
    Thank You for your help...I got to review the videos and now I see that the seams are dimensional, which can be pretty nice for some projects. I first thought I was doing something wrong, but I guess I wasnít...Thanks Again!

She demonstrates her cotton theory of seam joining at around 12:00 in the first video (this jacket has 3 parts I think). I've been wanting to make a reversible flannel jacket so these videos will come in very handy.

I got the book years ago. I have not attempted to go any further than reading it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I took the Cotton Theory class I think in 2006 or 7. I remember having issues with the back seams. The instructor suggested we glue baste and press the seam before sewing. Be sure to use very thin batting and that your machine can handle the thickness. A few had lots of issues with their smaller portable machines.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Is the cotton theory the same as a French Feld Seam? Such as in blue jeans or something completely different?

I bought both books yrs ago and did one project using what she recommended w/double sided 1/4 inch tape...I ended up selling the books on ebay and never doing that technique again...

Blog Entries

Cotton Theory batting

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I took the Cotton Theory class I think in 2006 or 7. I remember having issues with the back seams. The instructor suggested we glue baste and press the seam before sewing. Be sure to use very thin batting and that your machine can handle the thickness. A few had lots of issues with their smaller portable machines.
    In her book she mentions a poly/cotton batting, 80/20 that she makes, that you can iron down to make it flat so itís easier to sew, and then put it in the dryer to refluff it. I believe it was in a width of 18Ē. Not sure if this batting is still available. I saw on Jenny Beyers site she had an 18Ē batting, but not sure itís the same.

Blog Entries
    Couldn’t you use flannel instead of batting, too. How would one of the new natural batting work? Wool or bamboo, silk, etc. I just like the added texture and colors and using decorative stitches. Something different.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    Is the cotton theory the same as a French Feld Seam? Such as in blue jeans or something completely different?
    I just watched a video on the French feld seam and the difference I can see is that the cotton theory only folds the seam allowance to the stitched seam line and not beyond...atleast that is my impression. She has several stitching techniques...That’s what gives it the dimensional look. One folded under edge actually isn’t stitched down. And when sewing two quilted blocks together there is no batting in the seam at all. You cut the batting 1 inch smaller all around the block...or cut the block one inch all around larger than the batting. Which would lead to adjusting a pattern to cut larger outside pieces to increase the 1/4” seam allowance to 1”. Or...You could just add a border or setting triangles, too... I guess...LOL

Blog Entries
    I did a google search "Cotton Theory video". There they are!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie