Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Start/Sop Sewing Machine Button ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/start-sop-sewing-machine-button-t304475.html)

osewme 04-30-2019 10:35 AM

Start/Sop Sewing Machine Button ?

I have a domestic, Janome Magnolia 7330 machine that has a start/stop button on it. I've only used it in the past just to check it out & it seems awkward using it but now I'm re-thinking about using it. My foot pedal acts up now & then & will not start my machine. I think it might be a short in the pedal or just a worn out pedal, etc. So today I decided to use the start/stop button & I think I'm beginning to more use to it. I do have to slow my speed (which is not a bad thing for me) & am sort of liking the button.

Has anyone else ever used that button & do you use it on a regular/full time basis? Do you like using it? Pros & cons for using it.

charley26 04-30-2019 11:11 AM

I use the Stop/Start button for some of the fancy stitches on my Janome, button holes, and for bobbin winding. I use it for some of the fancy stitches because the speed is more consistent than my foot control is with them! Also, when i went to 'stop' a completed run of fancy stitches, I know it will stop following a completed design. I have not used it for regular straight/zigzag etc.
I have not had any problems with it.

QuiltnNan 04-30-2019 11:19 AM

I never use mine.

Jingle 04-30-2019 01:02 PM

I love using the needle up/down button all the time on my one machine.

Neither machine I use all the time has a stop/start button.

Garden Gnome 04-30-2019 01:43 PM

One of my machines has a start/stop button. I used it to quilt when I was just wanting a simple stitch. I could use the machine placed on the bar counter, and sit on a stool. Gave my back a break from the other position in a chair. And I couldn't reach the pedal with the necessary agility while sitting on the stool.

tallchick 04-30-2019 01:47 PM

Oh my, I don’t use my foot pedal at all, I use my start stop button to sew, I have a Juki F600 that has speed control as well, so I find it very useful, and my foot is not chasing the pedal either. It’s the way I’ve been quilting since I started.

JustAbitCrazy 04-30-2019 02:29 PM

I never use mine. I like my hands on my work, so I use a knee lift for the presser foot. The stop/start button would require me to use one of the hands that I prefer to be controlling my work.

GEMRM 04-30-2019 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 8247508)
I never use mine. I like my hands on my work, so I use a knee lift for the presser foot. The stop/start button would require me to use one of the hands that I prefer to be controlling my work.

E
Exactly what I do, and why!

pocoellie 04-30-2019 04:17 PM

I have used my start/stop button, but very rarely, I much prefer to use the foot pedal.

Quiltah Mama 04-30-2019 04:49 PM

I like my start/stop button for certain projects, such as a jelly roll race type of quilt when you are doing a lot of straight long stiches, or another example is when making a jelly roll rug and your sewing your fabric and batting after you've folded them. I do find I do have to slow my speed though when using it and for me there is a learning curve to it, my brain can't seem to remember to push the stop button instead of lifting my foot to stop sewing. :p