Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are your machines insured (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-machines-insured-t304808.html)

Murphy224 05-20-2019 02:04 AM

Are your machines insured

Reading on another site about a woman whose sewing room caught on fire and she lost her Husqvarna Diamond machine. Fire was started by defective power strip. Evidently it was caught early and the sewing room was the only damaged room in the home. She had insurance on her machine and it was covered.
Got me to thinking about my machines, which to replace just them with new would cost close to if not over $20,000. Not being eager to contact my homeowners policy to inquire about an add on rider, wondered what if anything any of you have done to insure your machines. Let's not even get into the furniture, stash, and all accompanying notions, patterns, and other necessities we need.
Just curious if anyone else had a sewing room disaster or any kind of disaster where your homeowners insurance paid for the specific loss of these things.
Murphy

JustAbitCrazy 05-20-2019 02:20 AM

Knock on wood---no experience, no special insurance, not even for the quilts and tops, but now you have me scared.

goldsberry921 05-20-2019 02:21 AM

My friend's house was hit by a power outage one year due to heavy rain storms. Her insurance covered her machine. This was like 3 years ago that this happened if I not mistaken.

liking quilting 05-20-2019 02:37 AM

I guess I'm insurance dumb, but doesn't a general homeowner's policy cover up to a certain $ amount of personal property in the home?

rryder 05-20-2019 03:28 AM

I’ve had some of my quilts appraised, but not added a special rider onto my homeowner’s policy. Some insurers suggest taking a video walk through of your house showing the contents. If you’ve got expensive machines like a longarm, embroidery or high end domestic machine you might want to look into adding additional coverage. Also get any special quilts appraised and keep the appraisal in a fire safe location.

jmoore 05-20-2019 03:28 AM

When my new LA machine showed up earlier this year, the first thing I did was called my insurance company to make sure my homeowners policy covered my sewing machines...and yes, I’m safe but hope I never need to use it.

Onebyone 05-20-2019 05:27 AM

I don't have any machine worth more then my deductible which is $5000. My stash is covered under contents for fire, water, theft, etc. Insurance has changed a lot over the last years. We customized our policy to cover exactly what and for how much. Agents differ too. Two agents from the same company told us two different things. We bought our policy from a broker not an agent of the insurance company.

Rhonda K 05-20-2019 05:42 AM

My machines are covered under contents. Be sure to list the model and serial numbers of your machines. I keep lists of machine feet, rulers, stabilizers and thread inventories. Embroidery designs are kept on master excel sheets by vendors.

cashs_mom 05-20-2019 05:43 AM

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just contact your agent and talk to him/her. That's what they are there for. It's always a good idea to have any big ticket items listed and insured separately. However, be aware that just having them insured doesn't meant you will get the enough to replace the machine unless you have them insured for replacement value.

Rob's advice is exactly what I was told by an estate appraiser. Have pictures and documentation on anything big items. There is a cap on what your can receive for the contents of your home. It sounds like a lot of money when you are reading the policy, but if you had to start replacing everything in your home that $50,000 isn't going to go that far.

KalamaQuilts 05-20-2019 06:06 AM

Mine would be covered under our homeowners and our policy covers replacement value on everything. I don't own anything that would require a rider, wouldn't replace even half of what I have if it came to that. We have a 5K deductible.