Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What do you use to carry notions to retreats or sewing sessions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-do-you-use-carry-notions-retreats-sewing-sessions-t306537.html)

NoraB 08-25-2019 09:20 AM

What do you use to carry notions to retreats or sewing sessions?

I go once a month to sew at someone's house for QOV. I was able to find a Singer Featherweight, so I take that to sew on. I have a rolling tote for that and it's got a little room for the notions. Right now, I just toss the scissors, thread, extra needles, wound bobbins, etc. into a plastic box and put that in the rolling tote. But, there are some lovely ladies that have "cool" notions holders.....fabric "purses" that look like cosmetic bags sewn together to make compartments, cute little tins, etc. I'm just wondering ...for those who take their stuff to sew someplace else.......what do you use? I like to repurpose and don't like to spend lots of money (like to spend on fabric!). So, just looking for ideas. Everyone else seems so organized! Last time, I forgot to put in my seam ripper! Another time, I forgot to put in pins! So, just thought I'd see what you use and how you like it!

We also take food to share, so by the time I carry everything in.....I've made 3 trips! Help!?!

Thanks!

grannie cheechee 08-25-2019 09:30 AM

I have a rolling tote. I also have doubles of notions that I keep in a hard plastic container. This is the way I don't forget the " little things" I will need. This works for me.

bearisgray 08-25-2019 11:52 AM

I tend to toss things into a zip lock bag and hope I remembered everything.

Onebyone 08-25-2019 12:30 PM

I use an old Caboodle make up case left over from my DD's teen years. I have an old train case women use to take on trips and it is really nice for notions. Something that is easy to carry is the key.

IrishNY 08-25-2019 12:36 PM

I would either purchase duplicates to keep in your tote or make a list of what's needed and keep it in the tote so you know you have everything you need each time.

QuiltnNan 08-25-2019 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
several years ago I made this. It zips shut and the pocket inside velcros shut. It is about 9x4"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616631[/ATTACH]

juliasb 08-25-2019 03:14 PM

I have a rolling tote that carries my sewing machine, extension chord and presser foot in the main compartment. I have a small sewing kit that has needles, seam ripper, threads, scissors, rotary cutter, thread clippers, needle threader, small rulers, extra blades, pins and pincushion, small iron and cutting/pressing mat. I am sure there are other things in there that I cannot think of right now. I try to have anything I might need with me when I go out. The small sewing kit goes in one of the larger pockets on my rolling tote and the cutting/pressing mat it bungee corded to the handles. Some times I feel like a 'one man band' when I am taking my sewing out. Of course I have a carry tote bag with my materials or what ever project I am working on.

leaha 08-25-2019 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 8293781)
several years ago I made this. It zips shut and the pocket inside velcros shut. It is about 9x4"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616631[/ATTACH]

how cute is that!!

WMUTeach 08-26-2019 02:50 AM

I have a mid-sized Longaburger basket, think it was called a market basket. I keep it constantly supplied with those tools commonly needed. Everything from scissors to needles to thread to 6.5 square template. After a couple of trips outside my quilting room, I was pretty confident that I would have all that I needed. It stays packed and ready to go. This also keeps my little "tools" from hiding under projects and getting "lost" in my quilting room.

Some of my quilting friends use pencil boxes, good time to get them right now, or they use other plastic storage boxes.

Battle Axe 08-26-2019 03:28 AM

It's so easy to forget something. The idea of duplicate items is most appealing.

Reminds me of my Mom who had duplicate everything in her camping trailer. Just wash it and leave it in the trailer. So when Dad said let's go camping, Mom was always ready.