Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Preshrink and sewing batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/preshrink-sewing-batting-t306849.html)

EasyPeezy 09-12-2019 11:31 AM

Preshrink and sewing batting

Would you sew the batting together before or after preshinking?

Mitty 09-12-2019 11:37 AM

I wouldn't think it would make a great deal of difference, but I would sew it together afterwards, mostly because the batting is easier to work with in smaller pieces.

maryb119 09-12-2019 12:03 PM

I sew it together after preshrinking.

JustAbitCrazy 09-12-2019 01:23 PM

I never preshrink batting, so when I've pieced it, it's been before any washing. For me, the batting is first washed after the quilt is completed.

bearisgray 09-12-2019 01:50 PM

Read what the batting package says.

Some say "do not wash" before quilting.

NJ Quilter 09-12-2019 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 8300823)
I never preshrink batting, so when I've pieced it, it's been before any washing. For me, the batting is first washed after the quilt is completed.

Same here - never prewash batting. Only washing it gets is after the quilt is completed. Your batting may suggest preshrinking, however, so check your instructions. I use W&N 100%.

QuiltE 09-12-2019 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 8300802)
Would you sew the batting together before or after preshinking?

I think ... you are asking about pre-shrinking the batting only ... and not fabrics with batting?

I only pre-shrunk battings (baby quilt size) a couple of times, and found them to be such a gooey mess to flatten out and dry, that I have never done it. The frustrations never outweighed the rewards of doing so.

That being said, if I were to think of pre-shrinking, it would definitely be the smaller pieces,
as there would be less of a gooey mess to fight with! :)

bkay 09-12-2019 05:27 PM

I've only done it a couple of times. My hope is that the quilt will not be as "crinkly". I've used warm and natural both times I've preshrunk batting. I just wet it with warm/hot water in the sink, squeeze it out and dry it in the drier. It worked fine.

(I do not wash before gifting.) Sometimes, I prewash the fabric, sometimes, I don't.

It was easy. I encountered no problems with doing it. However, I'm not sure how it turned out after washing.

bkay

EasyPeezy 09-12-2019 09:08 PM

Thanks everyone.
QuiltE, I'm not really planning to wash the batting. Just spray with water
until damp then dry. Hope it will shrink some. If I don't forget, I plan to
measure before and after to see how much it shrinks. Just an experiment. :)

QuiltingHaven 09-13-2019 02:31 AM

Okay, I have been doing since I started batting like this since I started 9 years ago. I get 5 white washing hand squares wet with cold water. I put the batting ready with sprayer water lightly gently in the dryer. And then I throw in the squares every time 5 minutes to fluff it up and it does gets most of the batting the wrinkles out. They lose lots of gentle creases when it is done. When I started drying it and when they are done - love them with the top of the backing and then the top of the batting and then the quilt. They get it done.