Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Knee lift for pressure foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/knee-lift-pressure-foot-t309193.html)

DeltaMS 01-14-2020 08:44 AM

Knee lift for pressure foot

I have been quilting for 25 plus years , and never thought I would need or like a knee lift. I have changed my mine, but I need your knowledge. Can I buy this and attach it to the machine I already own? I have a Singer.

i have looked at a couple YouTube videos, and I find it a little confusing.

QuiltnNan 01-14-2020 08:56 AM

The machine needs to be build for a knee lift. I can't live without mine

Iceblossom 01-14-2020 09:17 AM

I've used vintage machines for most of the last 30 years, but a year ago my friend gave me a modern Bernina, I used it hard for the last year and now it has an issue and needs a trip to the shop so I've switched to my back-up/class machine.

How I miss my knee lift! And my friend who gave me the machine never used it.

The other thing is the bobbin sensor. It never was that big a deal before, but now that I'm used to the sensor I run out of bobbin thread all the time, usually I don't figure it out until at least a foot or two of sewing has gone on that didn't go on...

juliasb 01-14-2020 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8350918)
I've used vintage machines for most of the last 30 years, but a year ago my friend gave me a modern Bernina, I used it hard for the last year and now it has an issue and needs a trip to the shop so I've switched to my back-up/class machine.

How I miss my knee lift! And my friend who gave me the machine never used it.

The other thing is the bobbin sensor. It never was that big a deal before, but now that I'm used to the sensor I run out of bobbin thread all the time, usually I don't figure it out until at least a foot or two of sewing has gone on that didn't go on...

I only have one machine with a knee lift and I don''t use that machine that often to really know if I would use it a lot. What I do miss on my Juki is the sensor, Like you Iceblossom, The running out of bobbin and sewing for a couple feet just happened to me about 10 minutes ago. I suppose I should have been watching closer I suppose.

Macybaby 01-14-2020 10:00 AM

On vintage/mechanical machines, sometimes you can rig something that will mechanically raise and lower the foot lift bar, but it takes quite a bit of fabrication to do so (a lot of older commercial machines have the mechanism on the outside of the machines that does just that).

Most modern / electronic machines it would need to be part of the machine to start with.
I love having a knee lift for the foot - it's so nice to have both hands free to get the fabric in just the right spot while lowering the foot in place.

SusieQOH 01-14-2020 10:52 AM

I think you can only have that on a machine that comes with it. However, I'm just giving you my experience. I have old Singers that you wouldn't be able to. My Berninas have it built in.

The Quilted Cottage 01-14-2020 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaMS (Post 8350901)
I have been quilting for 25 plus years , and never thought I would need or like a knee lift. I have changed my mine, but I need your knowledge. Can I buy this and attach it to the machine I already own? I have a Singer.

i have looked at a couple YouTube videos, and I find it a little confusing.

As Macybaby wrote, I think it will depend on the type and age of your machine. If the youtube channel has a website, you can email them and ask questions on how to possible convert your machine.

As an aside, I may be the only long time Bernina user who doesn't use her knee lift. I've never liked it. I was piecing on my Viking Designer II because I love the auto foot lift, then fmq on my Berninas. I was so happy when they included an auto foot lift on their machines.

DeltaMS 01-14-2020 12:59 PM

Ditto on sewing without bobbin thread. I didn’t know they made a sensor for that. I think I need to save my money and upgrade my machine. I have a very basic Singer that is at least 25 years old. It has been a good one. I keep it clean and oiled and it has only been in the shop once.

FWLover 01-14-2020 01:42 PM

Love my knee lift. I agree it would have to be a feature that is already a part of your machine. Check your users manual and it should say if that is an available option. You could also google the question on the internet. “Is knee lift available for Singer ___ (type in model #)

maminstl 01-14-2020 02:08 PM

There will be a hole in the right bottom corner of your machine if it has the lift mechanism. I am very dependent on a knee lift and have passed on machines without it. As for the bobbin sensor, I appreciate having it, but I can hear it when I run out of thread on my Juki, so I never get too far sewing nothing.