Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you ever buy a machine without a dealer near? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-ever-buy-machine-without-dealer-near-t312887.html)

Lee in Richmond 10-25-2020 05:43 AM

Would you ever buy a machine without a dealer near?

I go back and forth constantly about whether I need one better sewing machine instead of the 3 or 4 so-so ones I already have. Specifically, I am looking at the Juki HZL-DX7, but there are no Juki service centers I can find in Virginia. I can buy it from Joann's, but I don't think they do classes or actual service. Is it insanity to even consider this?

Mkotch 10-25-2020 06:18 AM

I always said I would never buy a machine without a dealer near, but then my wonderful local Elna dealer/repair person retired due to poor health. There are Viking and Bernina dealers locally also although they don't do service but rather send things out. Sometimes I read about machines that sound great, and I am tempted but haven't yet taken the plunge.

sewingpup 10-25-2020 06:33 AM

I would definitely look at where the dealers with service is are....hopefully, there will be one within driving distance even it it is an all day drive. But if there is not one....of the brands I would consider buying.....I just may get one anyway....knowing if it needs service and probably also just for a general servicing periodically, I probably would get one anyway...but....I definitely would make sure I had another machine or two to keep me busy should I have to send the fancy machine in....and I would make sure that those extra machines were basic machines....that probably could be serviced by just about anyone....even the vacuum repair man....gotta have a least something that does a basic straight stitch at all times....

Lee in Richmond 10-25-2020 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch (Post 8427365)
I always said I would never buy a machine without a dealer near, but then my wonderful local Elna dealer/repair person retired due to poor health. There are Viking and Bernina dealers locally also although they don't do service but rather send things out. Sometimes I read about machines that sound great, and I am tempted but haven't yet taken the plunge.

You sound pretty much like me. I read stories of people having to put their new-ish machines in for $200 service that takes weeks, and this is not even repair. My really inexpensive Brothers never seem to need more than cleaning out. They work fine, just are not great, do not do the extra things the more expensive things do. . .but then would I really use those things? I just discovered a setting on my stove that says I have features I never knew were there. . .get my drift?

BonnieJP 10-25-2020 06:41 AM

Have you checked with any of the Juki owner groups on Facebook? There are two groups: Juki Owners and Juki Junkies. I have a Juki Miyabi J-350QVP that I bought in January 2020. I love the machine, but there are a couple of dealers within driving distance, including the one where I purchased the machine. The dealer I purchased from provides absolutely awesome service, not only for Juki, but even for my vintage Singers.

Lee in Richmond 10-25-2020 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup (Post 8427370)
I would definitely look at where the dealers with service is are....hopefully, there will be one within driving distance even it it is an all day drive. But if there is not one....of the brands I would consider buying.....I just may get one anyway....knowing if it needs service and probably also just for a general servicing periodically, I probably would get one anyway...but....I definitely would make sure I had another machine or two to keep me busy should I have to send the fancy machine in....and I would make sure that those extra machines were basic machines....that probably could be serviced by just about anyone....even the vacuum repair man....gotta have a least something that does a basic straight stitch at all times....

The guy who services my mechanical machines also does vacuums. I Googled Juki dealers and Juki service and nothing at all comes up in my state, but I could drive to another, I guess. But that leaves out classes. Part of my problem is that I have four other sewing machines besides the Brothers -- gluttony -- tho they are all older (at least 40 yrs or more) machines that are just too good to let go to less than a good home. Yes, I have sent machines to Haiti and to a group teaching girls to sew, but right now no one seems to really want the old non-plastic work horses.

SusieQOH 10-25-2020 06:44 AM

I don't know that one but I have a Juki 2010Q that I bought on Amazon. I don't even know if there's a dealer nearby but it wasn't an expensive machine. My Bernina is a different matter. I've dealt with my local dealer for decades and fully trust her. And she's really close by. This machine cost a lot more than my Juki (which I love) but my Juki is all mechanical so I'm not worried.

mkc 10-25-2020 06:56 AM

You might want to read this post, which indicates Juki will not provide parts to non-approved servicers Which would you choose?

(Entire topic here Juki topic )

and search the forum for Juki service. Some folks have reported Juki does not have the greatest customer service.

Onebyone 10-25-2020 07:08 AM

True story. My guild had a well known international teacher give a workshop and lecture. She was asked what type of machine she used. She said a week before a deadline her high dollar machine froze. She was in a crunch so ran to Walmart bought a Brother off the shelf and finished her quilt. It was entered in all the major shows that year. She said her machine is still broken, in the closet and she uses the inexpensive Brother for all her sewing. That made an impression on me and put logic back into my sewing machine wants.

dunster 10-25-2020 08:41 AM

My friend bought a new Bernina from her LQS just before COVID. Before she got her training completed, that shop went out of business. Just saying, even if you buy from a local shop, you're not guaranteed that it will be available long term to service your machine.