Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   this is why I finish my "ugly" quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/why-i-finish-my-ugly-quilt-t318890.html)

helou 08-10-2022 02:34 AM

this is why I finish my "ugly" quilt

during the period of confinement due to Covid restriction I got rid of almost all the fabric accumulated that I will no longer use. I do not sew clothes anymore, just quilts or crafts.
One friend had brought to me a box full of what she found in her mother's house while preparing it for sale: "you make quilts may be this could be useful to you"
I was on a mission to give and/or use it, but certainly not throwing it in the garbage so.... but NOTHING was 100% cotton

thinking I would just sew some together to "make" a big piece of fabric that could be used for the inside of grocery totes or zippered bags or whatever... I decided to do a reversible 48x48 quilt. I even used an old bed sheet instead of batting. In short, nothing to be proud of but it occupied my long winter time during the beginning of the pandemic.

showing my quilts to one of my friend last weekend, I showed this one to her, laughing and saying it could be used to put on the floor for a cat or dog "bed" or to put a young baby and some toys. She thought it was such a great idea for my grandchild to be. Oh wow I had forgotten that they will be grandparents for the first time in september (they are 15 years younger that I)
I spontaneously gave it to her. You should have seen her teary eyes "really? are you sure?"
Nobody has ever given me a handmade quilt....
I know for a fact that she has a hard time holding a needle and thread as I was showing her how a EPP hexagone. She is good with a lot of things but not with sewing.

I could not beleive how moved she was.
It really made my day and I am so convinced that I will finish all my ugly-to-me quilts.

helou 08-10-2022 02:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh! here they are
I give you permisson to zoom-in to see how bad they are.
It is so true that beauty is in he eye of ...

Attachment 640202

helou 08-10-2022 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry all I am having a hard time getting the other side of the quilt.
Here I go again

Quiltwoman44 08-10-2022 04:30 AM

Oh , I love reversible quilts myself. Hmmm, think i like the side with the blue best. last one posted.

pojo 08-10-2022 04:46 AM

very pretty quilt
that was nice of you giving it to your friend

Tartan 08-10-2022 05:02 AM

Cute and bright and a great tummy time quilt!

faykilgore 08-10-2022 05:55 AM

I like it, especially for a baby to be on. What a blessing for you both!

helou 08-10-2022 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 (Post 8562712)
Oh , I love reversible quilts myself. Hmmm, think i like the side with the blue best. last one posted.

Yes me too.
this was made to be the top side in my plan loll

Doggramma 08-10-2022 07:49 AM

What a nice story! There is so much negativity in the world these days, it’s great to hear a nice story! There’s been a few instances in my quilting life when people were so touched to receive a hand made quilt. That makes all the efforts worth it.

EmiliasNana 08-10-2022 08:15 AM

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so yes, finish your ugly quilt. As you saw it was a treasure to your friend.
I personally like the scrappy look and so will the baby. Great job.