Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   UFO's Finishing - or not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ufos-finishing-not-t319815.html)

tuckyquilter 12-30-2022 05:06 PM

UFO's Finishing - or not?

I've been working really hard on finishing UFO's for a couple of years. They got WAY out of hand. I love seeing a project bin empty.

Judith1005 12-30-2022 05:16 PM

Not, But, I really want 2023 to be my year to finish a lot. The list is very daunting. But, I did a huge purge in my sewing room this year. I only kept the ones I really wanted to finish. I applaud that you stayed the course to finish up your UFO's! That's amazing. I want to be able to start new projects with a clear conscience.

quiltsfor 12-30-2022 05:40 PM

I may be a strange one, but I've never had any UFO's. When I start a quilt, I work on it until it is completed, whether it takes a month or so, or a year if it is more complex. I've always been that way. I have a lot of projects lined up to make, having the fabric and all, and a lot of ideas floating around in my head, but none of them have actually been started. One project at a time from start to finish.

Sometimes I make a double project (two quilts exactly the same with different fabric because they were requested) at the same time, but that is rare, matter of fact I've only done this twice. A double project I just finished and one I just started. But, as before, they get finished before I start a new project. And when I do the double project, I work on the 2 quilts simultaneously, doing each step with each quilt before moving onto the next step.

I really enjoy the feeling I get seeing a quilt project complete, of putting in that last stitch and just holding the finished quilt in my hands. Having a, I did this, I made this, feeling. I find that it's relaxing and enjoyable.

It would bug the heck out of me if I had a lot of (UFO's) unfinished projects just gathering dust in a box or cupboard. I like to enjoy the complete process each time I make a quilt. It would feel like I had a bunch of old projects laying around that I got tired of and feel like I'd have to force myself to do them or get rid of them and wonder why I made them to begin with, if I wasn't going to finish them from start to finish, when I started them.

I guess it is to each our own in how we like to quilt. Nothing wrong with any way we do it, as long as we are doing it the way we like.

mmunchkins 12-30-2022 06:22 PM

Quiltsfor, I am the same exact way. Plus I have only done the double quilt thing twice, because I cut too many blocks. I even did it the same as you did, working on one step at a time on each quilt. Strange.

WMUTeach 12-31-2022 04:52 AM

Those without UFO's fit into the Wonder Woman category. I have gone from more than 20 a couple years ago to only 9 hanging in my closet. Covid was a wonderful time for me to get them done and out the door! Planning on finishing one a month so next year this time I can declare freedom from UFO's for at least one day in my quilting life. Tee-Hee-Hee!

aashley333 12-31-2022 05:24 AM

I, too, am in the "finish what I'm working on" club. I do have several projects waiting in the wings. I don't usually follow a pattern, but rather make up my own. If I don't complete the quilt, I'll forget what I was thinking!

tallchick 12-31-2022 05:44 AM

I prefer to finish what I start, if in the process if making a quilt I decide I no longer wish to proceed, I find it a new home. I do have quilt tops waiting to be quilted, but I do not consider those UFO’s.

Stitchnripper 12-31-2022 05:55 AM

I too finish everything. I have two projects going. One for home and one to take to sit and sew. I don't really have a stash either. My quilting friends scratch their heads!!

Tartan 12-31-2022 06:11 AM

I have only had one top I donated to the thrift store rather then finishing. I do however have several tops that need to be quilted and a wall hanging in a time out as I think about what I want to do next. Everything has been put aside as I think a scrap quilt top needs to be done to help use up my hamper of scraps.

Quiltwoman44 12-31-2022 06:14 AM

that is what i loved about being in Swaps all the time. I had to finish! no procrastinating! Now, if it is for me it can wait. and boy does it? yep, UFO's galore. I'm trying to catch up now. Still have some quilt tops to quilt!! :confused: