Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing room set up. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-room-set-up-t37919.html)

DebbieL 02-25-2010 08:26 AM

I have a 100 sq. ft. room that I want to make into a sewing room. Any ideas - do's or don'ts as to how to set up?

Chasing Hawk 02-25-2010 08:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Storage, Storage and more Storage you can never have enough. I have my sewing table under a window, my ironing board is wall mounted and my cutting table is in the corner. And plenty of lighting.
I keep my sewing room as roomy as possible, I don't like cramped spaces. My sewing room is about 140 sq. ft.

BellaBoo 02-25-2010 09:08 AM

I have a T shape made with three of the long folding tables. I can have three machines set up using that shape with one end of the T being a cutting area. I have the top of the T being two tables and those are underneath the window. If my room was bigger I'd have a forth table making the T into an H.

DebbieL 02-25-2010 09:41 AM

Thank you. You have a nice room. I also have large windows, great place for machine.

Bluphrog 02-25-2010 09:56 AM

Harriet Hargraves has a great section in her book Heirloom Machine Quilting about setting up a sewing room.

My tip is shelves, shelves and more shelves. That way, you have space for your fabrics, supplies, books and WIPs (note I do not say UFOs).

I set up my sewing area so that it was in a "U" shape. One side has my pressing station and one side has a cutting / trimming station. That way, I can sew, press and trim without moving. It sure saves time.

Jingle 02-25-2010 10:25 AM

Good looking room.

DebbieL 02-25-2010 10:49 AM

thank you for the information..

mosquitosewgirl 02-25-2010 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Storage, Storage and more Storage you can never have enough. I have my sewing table under a window, my ironing board is wall mounted and my cutting table is in the corner. And plenty of lighting.
I keep my sewing room as roomy as possible, I don't like cramped spaces. My sewing room is about 140 sq. ft.

Chase, does the green bulletin board cover a cabinet for an ironing board?

tinfoilrose 02-25-2010 11:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My studio is in a small bedroom on the main floor. The key, as others have said, is storage, storage, storage. I'm blessed with two double closets and a single.

My husband hung pegboard on the walls for my quilting supplies. I have a large piece of batting on a curtain rod above the pegboard that I can roll down and use as a design wall.

He also took the top of a cheap cutting table and mounted it on an antique wrought iron rolling island. It's heavy enough that it won't roll when I'm cutting or ironing, but it's great to be able to move it out of the way when I need to.

An antique singer treadle table with a slate top holds my machines.

I also do graphic design, so I have an area for my computers and desk stuff.

:) Donna

DebbieL 02-25-2010 12:18 PM

Thank You, wonderful ideas. I love the use of old sewing stands and roll down design area...