Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you quilt your own? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-quilt-your-own-t38083.html)

stitchinwitch 02-27-2010 07:36 AM

Just curious - I have been wondering how many of you quilt your own quilts (machine or hand) OR send them out to be quilted. I ONLY do mine at home - on the regular sewing machine (Handiquilter is packed away) - I do the Cotton Theory type of quilting.

erstan947 02-27-2010 07:41 AM

Depending on the quilt. I have quilted by hand, on my regular sewing machine and sent them out for quilting. I choose the type of quilting depending on the use of the quilt. Happy quilting to all.

redrummy 02-27-2010 08:12 AM

I have in the past either tied or hand quilted. I am learning to do quilting on my regular machine, but I am fighting wiht lap sized, haven't tried larger.

dakotamaid 02-27-2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Just curious - I have been wondering how many of you quilt your own quilts (machine or hand) OR send them out to be quilted. I ONLY do mine at home - on the regular sewing machine (Handiquilter is packed away) - I do the Cotton Theory type of quilting.

What is the cotton theory type of quilting? (curious)

BellaBoo 02-27-2010 08:33 AM

I've had a couple sent out to a longarmer. I rather do it myself. I use a simple grid or circles and sometimes I do feathers or shapes using a stencil. I like Georgia Bonesteel's method of quilt as you go. I do that for a lot of my quilts.

BellaBoo 02-27-2010 08:35 AM

I tried the Cotton Theory and the Fun and Done. I like Georgia's method much better.

SherriB 02-27-2010 08:36 AM

I mostly quilt my own. I do a lot of stich in the ditch, echo or grid pattern. I am trying to learn FMQ but it just ain't happenin. LOL :lol: If the quilt is going to be a special gift or just to big fo me to do, I send it out.

moreland 02-27-2010 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid

It is a form of quilting-as-you go. You work with sandwich of backing, batting, and top. I didn't try, but bet a Google of "Cotton method quilting" would bring up information. A lady with the last name of "Cotton" put out a book on this method, hense, the name.

dakotamaid 02-27-2010 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by moreland

Originally Posted by dakotamaid

It is a form of quilting-as-you go. You work with sandwich of backing, batting, and top. I didn't try, but bet a Google of "Cotton method quilting" would bring up information. A lady with the last name of "Cotton" put out a book on this method, hense, the name.

Thank you! Working on project Linus quilts so the faster we can do them the better. I want them to look great but not take up too much time.
:-D

Chasing Hawk 02-27-2010 08:49 AM

I quilt all my own work. I wrestle with twin up to queen size on my machine. But I am having a blast making small lap quilts and baby quilts. This summer I plan on using my square stash and make pot holders, hot pads and coasters as gifts for Christmas.