Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-so-major-household-debate-has-reached-scary-conclusion-t43844.html)

PurpleBecca 04-25-2010 06:33 AM

We have been chating for MONTHS about the fact that our house is slowly being taken over by sewing equipment!

ANYWAY - today the family has reached the massively scary conclusion: We are giving up our sitting room for sewing - for the summer - to see how it goes as a sewing room!!!!

We dont use our sitting room much in summer - working outside until late (or sewing in the kitchen) so we wont miss it as much as we would on those long cold winter nights.....

Its a lot of work swapping things around - but at least ALL rooms in the house would be sewing free - apart from in there!!!

Has anyone else had to do anything dramitic to accomodate all thier stuff????

Darlene 04-25-2010 06:34 AM

I guess you are lucky they agreed to this; take a photo for us.

MaryStoaks 04-25-2010 06:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is where my kitchen table used to be. We now eat in the livingroom on trays. Priorities!

CarrieAnne 04-25-2010 06:52 AM

Lucky you!

stitchinwitch 04-25-2010 06:56 AM

I am smiling because misery loves company!!

patricej 04-25-2010 07:02 AM

is there another room you can use instead? otherwise, i predict a battle royale come winter over whether or not you have to move again. :lol:

i used to have a dining area off the kitchen; space divided by a counter.

now i have half a kitchen and a computing/sewing space. (it's too big a mess for a high-falutin' name like "studio".) :lol:

Rebecca VLQ 04-25-2010 07:02 AM

LOL! Well, my sewing area has just acquired a quilt frame and I will be firing that baby up ASAP! So, the upstairs landing cannot be mistaken for anything else than a sewing emporium. It used to look like a sitting area, with some sewing stuff on one side. :D :D :D

scrapsoftime 04-25-2010 07:04 AM

I think it's an awesome idea!! Truly sometimes getting the misc. clutter out of all the other rooms helps to "open" them up to such an extent that it makes the loss of another space worthwhile. My sewing area had been in my laundry area with approx (and NOT kidding) 6" behind my machine. It wasnt a real happy place to quilt. Piecing was fine. Now that the machines is on the dining room table, I use it all the time. Take pics and let us know how it goes.. and Mary.. LOVE that pic!!!! yes priorities!!!! :)

Leigh

Roben 04-25-2010 07:12 AM

PurpleBecca & Mary, thank you both so much for the chuckle this morning! You see, hubby is (as we speak) cleaning out his office to make room for my Tin Lizzie that's coming this week!

Here's my count so far:
1. I do have a sewing room, that houses 4 sewing machines, my design wall, cutting area and 2 bookshelves/lateral file units for books, DVD's & such, and 2 shelf units for my open stash.
2. My dining room table - lurking under the protective padding of my dining room table lies my 2 large cutting mats for cutting large pieces and squaring up quilt tops.
3. Our home theater system resides on a 1973 Singer Touch N Sew with a the coolest machine cabinet - full, of course, with notions and my collection of Floriani Embroidery thread.
4. The spare bedroom upstairs houses all my garment sewing and hand embroidery supplies as well as tubs of more stash. This was supposed to be hubby's dressing room :)

Hubby's Loss:
1 Dressing Room
Part of Closet
Office
Front entry (more tubs, I'm told)
His Bathroom (I think there is a quilting mag or 2 in there!)
And, on occasion, Kitchen Table, Dining Room table, & Living Room.

Hubby Holding his Own:
Most of his Bathroom
Small Corner of Office (he says it'll fit; I'm saying not - we'll see who wins!)
Most of Garage (I have him making quilt hangers for me, so he's counting that as a loss)
His Shed
Most of his Dignity :lol:

There is a 1963 Necchi under the Kitchen Table, but that's his machine for tinkering so I'm counting that against him :D

thequilterslink 04-25-2010 07:33 AM

when i got my longarm, i made my dining room my living room and turned the living room into my longarm room, the upside is now i have no space for big family dinners and someone else has to have them :) and i get to go and just bring a dish to pass.