Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Microsoft Word question... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/microsoft-word-question-t46713.html)

barnbum 05-22-2010 05:23 AM

I'm creating awards for students in Word. Each page is a different award. I want a different border on each page, but I'm not having any luck doing that. I can do the first page, or the whole document. Highlighting the page I want the border on doesn't help.

Help? Anyone? :-D

Shibori 05-22-2010 05:31 AM

do you have powerpoint?

sandpat 05-22-2010 05:33 AM

I think that is how Word works Karla....I agree with Shibori..do you have PowerPoint? Or you will have to do a separate document for each page.

dsb38327 05-22-2010 05:44 AM

I am still running Windows 95 so your version of Windows may have some variations. I used my Windows 95 'help' and it gives directions on adding borders. Those directions make me think I could add different borders through out the document.
What version of Windows are you working in?

dsb38327 05-22-2010 05:51 AM

I think I just did it in W95.
I inserted 2 pictures in a document.
Format, borders and shading, page border.
This put the same border on both photos.
Then I right clicked on one of the photos.
Clicked borders and shading.
Chose my borders and such.
On the right at the bottom there is a drop down that ask if I want to apply my choices to:
text, paragraph,picture.
I chose picture and clicked okay.

quiltilicious 05-22-2010 05:54 AM

What version of Word are you using? If it's older than Word 2003, this may not work.

Your border graphic image needs to be placed as a graphic on the page you are working on. Not as a background.

In the Picture toolbar, pick Text Wrapping > Behind Text.

Set up your award text to show in the middle of your border.

Add a Page Break after the last bit of text.

Do the exact same thing for each subsequent page.

If this doesn't work, or you still can't figure it out, you may have to have a separate file for each certificate.

good luck!
-Wendy

barnbum 05-22-2010 05:59 AM

Wow--thanks for all the replies... I'm headed to try some now.... Power Point...hmmm....don't remember if we have that.
Oh--it's Word 2007.

Back--I couldn't get these ideas to work, soooo I will either have to make each a document, or I'll just change borders everytime before I print each page... ugh. I bet they'd take the same amount of time to mess with.

quiltilicious 05-22-2010 06:17 AM

My technique should work in Word 2007. I just forget where that dialog box is on the ribbon bar (I have 2007 on my work machine and 03 at home).

is your border a graphic or a frame around the paragraphs?

07 is probably "assuming" that you want to use the picture as a background.

Try this:

Start with a blank document.
on the Insert tab, pick Insert Picture
Make sure "set as background" is NOT checked.
select the picture once it's on the page and right-click. A context menu should pop up. Look for something that says "Properties"
You want to get to the dialog box that has the WORD WRAPPING OPTIONS, and you want to select "Behind Text"

I'm not completely sure where that is, and I can't find it for you now, sorry!

barnbum 05-22-2010 06:30 AM

Oh--I was just using "page borders." I don't need anything special--just what's offered there. Finding other options for border art will take too long--there are 24 to make. :roll: I think redoing the borders before I print each will work.

The paragraphs have been sent to four friends for editing... I always miss something, usually from is "form" and or is "of." :roll:

Oh, Terri--have you read them yet? :lol:

patricej 05-22-2010 06:54 AM

i have Word '03 here at the house, so can't give you the steps in '07.

the trick is to start a new section whenever you want to change the border. when you change to the new border, make sure to tell Word to apply it only to that section.

i just tested and it works.