Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What vintage Singer do you prefer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-vintage-singer-do-you-prefer-t51373.html)

Scraffy 06-25-2010 07:44 PM

I am afraid I have caught the vintage sewing machine bug! I have been looking at singer 301, 401 and rocketeers. If you could have any of the three, which would you choose, and why?

craftybear 06-25-2010 07:44 PM

I would want all of them!

Charlee 06-25-2010 07:46 PM

I have the 201-2, and love this machine! Now I think I need the rest of the "01" machines! William, on the other hand, thinks I have too many as it is! :lol:

MaryStoaks 06-25-2010 08:09 PM

I have all of them and a bunch more. I use my 221 featherweight for piecing and 301 for binding. I love them all. I would use all of the but I don't have room to set them all up. The rocketeer is a truely beautiful machine and has all those extra stitches. You can't go wrong with any of them.

BellaBoo 06-25-2010 08:32 PM

I have the Singer 301, 221k (white featherweight) and the 15-91 in original sewing cabinet. I gave my grandmother's Singer treadle to my DD. My favorite is the 301. It sews better then any expensive new machine I have or have I have tested in shops. The featherweight is nice for classes and the Ahhhh factor but it can be finicky when it wants to. The 15-91 runs smooth as silk. When I sew on it I feel like I'm really sewing not zipping through fabric. I wish I had the Singer 301 before I bought my newer machines.

sharon b 06-25-2010 08:34 PM

I was just given a 401A a couple weeks ago... it had been in a garage and the people wanted it out :shock: I spent 5 hours on a Sunday cleaning it up , wound a bobbin and it ran GREAT :thumbup:

quiltsRfun 06-25-2010 09:01 PM

I'd choose the 301 cause that's the one my mother has and I learned to sew on. A bit of nostalgia for me. Who knows, some day I might end up with that very machine. I got a chance to use it recently and it still sews great. I agree with BellaBoo, it sews much smoother than my newer machine. It just seems like a solid piece of equipment and probably is since it's made of metal rather than plastic. :)

trif 06-25-2010 09:22 PM

I have a pink 1948 featherweight I beleive it's a 201. I bought it to take to classes and because she is so cute! However, I don't use her and am thinking of selling her, then I talk myself out of it cause she was very expensive and would I ever purchase another and she is so cute! Did I tell you how cute she is. So I will continue to hum and haw about it.

oldhag 06-26-2010 09:26 AM

Hard to choose just one. I like each and every one I own and use most of them regularly. Right now I am using my 128 handcrank and my 128 electric, something about those old bullet style bobbins. Oh wait my 301 LBOW is set up too. I pull my 201 out when I feel guilty but she's in a cabinet and hard to get at right now...long story.. I just cleaned and set up a Domestic Deluxe yesterday and should go out an give her a workout but.....I am waiting on parts for my 30K21, she's an industrial but my DH says I can't use her until he finishes up some woodwork on her.

trif 06-26-2010 10:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of my cute pink girl.