Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   DIFFERENT NAMES (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/different-names-t56242.html)

katiebear1 07-25-2010 05:44 PM

Do any of you have names that you hated as a child? I am Katiebear online , but my real name is Martha Reaci after my two GM's. I always went as Reaci. It wasn't until I moved to Kentuckey from Colorado that people knew how to pronounce it. I guess it is an Applacihan SP? name and my GM was from Georgia. Nowadays unique names are in. but when I was growing up (late 50's to early 70's) my name was considerd weird. I still don't really like it, but I don't like Martha much better. My DD says since I am so Crafty and domestic that I am living up to my Martha ( as in Stewart) name. LOL.

Chasing Hawk 07-25-2010 05:46 PM

My given name is Robin. But my Aunt Joe always called me Nancy......LOL
My brother called me Prima Donna.
And my husband calls me......Baby

In grade school.....I was always asked where Batman was.

franie 07-25-2010 05:46 PM

Well I was teased about my real name and was so glad when I finally got nicks. I was called "francis the talking mule". I hated the teasing. And I hated my name being misspelled too.

Joanie2 07-25-2010 05:49 PM

Hi Katiebear. My online name is Joanie2 but I've always hated to be called Joanie because it made me feel like a little girl. Problem was that I was very tiny as a little girl. When my mother was angry with me she'd call me
Joan Lorraine and then I knew I was in trouble. My name is after my father JOhn, my mother ANita and my grandmother.
As I got older I disliked being called Joanie more and more.

sharon b 07-25-2010 06:18 PM

Not as a child but as an adult... My middle name is Guadalupe and at work they would call me Guadie or guacamole :roll:

marymc 07-25-2010 06:25 PM

Mary, in a catholic town. In grade school we had 18 girls five of which were named Mary and only 4 boys. I always dreamed of having a unique name! Of course thebn I went on to give my kids very comman names also. LOL

isnthatodd 07-25-2010 06:40 PM

My name is Cathie, and when I was in school there were always 2 or 3 more, who spelled their names much more interestingly than I did (Cathy until I was about 12). I hated it then, wanted to be Bobbie or Candy or Trinket or some such. My husband loves my name, and now I don't mind it.

minnow895 07-25-2010 07:02 PM

my name is patricia i hate it when people call me pattie my grand
ma called me pattie ann

charismah 07-25-2010 08:01 PM

Well I grew up with a name ..Charisma. Who wants to live up to that? I don't have alot of problems with people mispronouncing it now...but all during school ...I could always tell when a new teacher came to my name on roll call! But I gues syou get used to it and it doesn't effect you anymore.

CarrieAnne 07-25-2010 08:13 PM

Aw, I think your name is pretty! My last name was a pain! Its REIN, so they always pronounced it like rain, when it should be like rhine!!!!!!!! Even the teachers would say, oh, its reining, lol, I used to be so embarraced!