Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rag Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-question-t56301.html)

piepatch 07-26-2010 06:48 AM

I don't know if any of you make rag quilts, but if you do, I have a question for you. When you cut the batting (Warm and Natural) for the squares, do you cut it big enough to be caught up in the seam? I have made quite a few of these for family members, and I always cut the batting just big enough to have about 1/8" caught in the seam all the way around. I have talked to a lot of people who have made them, and they all say they only cut the batting just big enough to fit INSIDE the seam, and only being sewn down where the "X" is quilted. I think they do that so the batting won't show when you "fringe"the seams, But I have found the batting doesn't show when there is only 1/8" sewn in. The fringed part covers it up. If any of you have made these quilts, I would like to know how you make them. I have made so many I am tired of them, but have one more to make, and would like to hear how others make them.........

athenagwis 07-26-2010 06:50 AM

I am not much help because I don't use batting. I use 3 layers of flannel and just do the 1/2 inch seams. I don't do the X or anything. They have held up really well for me.

Rachel

kathy 07-26-2010 06:52 AM

I do it so as not to have such a thick seam at the intersections

grammyj 07-26-2010 07:09 AM

you can cut the batting smaller, not to be in the seam and when you sew the x on it that will keep from shifting

dkabasketlady 07-26-2010 08:10 AM

I only cut the batting to fit inside the square not in the seam! When I quilt the X it secures it and I've not had any problems in doing it this way.

CorgiNole 07-26-2010 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
I am not much help because I don't use batting. I use 3 layers of flannel and just do the 1/2 inch seams. I don't do the X or anything. They have held up really well for me.

Rachel

The two I've done also use flannel instead of batting and I stitch it together this way. The instructions I've seen for using batting is to cut so that it is inside the seams and then stitch the X to keep the batting from bunching up. I like the flannel because I can add another color and texture in the fringe.

Cheers, K

nativetexan 07-26-2010 08:50 AM

i did some with flannel and cut 5 inch squares of fabric and 4 inch cotton batting.then quilted every other square with an X or a circle. then sewed together with 1/2 inch seam and clipped. no batting showing that way.
and batting isn't necessary all the time. your choice.

dglvr 07-26-2010 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
I only cut the batting to fit inside the square not in the seam! When I quilt the X it secures it and I've not had any problems in doing it this way.

Me too. I love rag quilts. I've made several. Some with just squares or like this one I'm showing. Fun to do.

Jim's Gem 07-26-2010 11:07 AM

I cut my batting 1" smaller than the fabrics squares. For example if I am using 8" squares I cut my batting 7". I then sew with a 1/2" seam. Sometimes I get a little batting in the seal allowances but I try not to.

pocoellie 07-26-2010 11:11 AM

I cut my batting 2" smaller than the size of the block, then center the batting.