Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rag Quilt Question

I don't know if any of you make rag quilts, but if you do, I have a question for you. When you cut the batting (Warm and Natural) for the squares, do you cut it big enough to be caught up in the seam? I have made quite a few of these for family members, and I always cut the batting just big enough to have about 1/8" caught in the seam all the way around. I have talked to a lot of people who have made them, and they all say they only cut the batting just big enough to fit INSIDE the seam, and only being sewn down where the "X" is quilted. I think they do that so the batting won't show when you "fringe"the seams, But I have found the batting doesn't show when there is only 1/8" sewn in. The fringed part covers it up. If any of you have made these quilts, I would like to know how you make them. I have made so many I am tired of them, but have one more to make, and would like to hear how others make them.........

I am not much help because I don't use batting. I use 3 layers of flannel and just do the 1/2 inch seams. I don't do the X or anything. They have held up really well for me.

Rachel

I do it so as not to have such a thick seam at the intersections

you can cut the batting smaller, not to be in the seam and when you sew the x on it that will keep from shifting

I only cut the batting to fit inside the square not in the seam! When I quilt the X it secures it and I've not had any problems in doing it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by athenagwis
    I am not much help because I don't use batting. I use 3 layers of flannel and just do the 1/2 inch seams. I don't do the X or anything. They have held up really well for me.

Rachel
    The two I've done also use flannel instead of batting and I stitch it together this way. The instructions I've seen for using batting is to cut so that it is inside the seams and then stitch the X to keep the batting from bunching up. I like the flannel because I can add another color and texture in the fringe.

Cheers, K

Blog Entries
    i did some with flannel and cut 5 inch squares of fabric and 4 inch cotton batting.then quilted every other square with an X or a circle. then sewed together with 1/2 inch seam and clipped. no batting showing that way.
    and batting isn't necessary all the time. your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    I only cut the batting to fit inside the square not in the seam! When I quilt the X it secures it and I've not had any problems in doing it this way.
    Me too. I love rag quilts. I've made several. Some with just squares or like this one I'm showing. Fun to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I cut my batting 1" smaller than the fabrics squares. For example if I am using 8" squares I cut my batting 7". I then sew with a 1/2" seam. Sometimes I get a little batting in the seal allowances but I try not to.

I cut my batting 2" smaller than the size of the block, then center the batting.

I cut my batting smaller than my squares. I do not want it in my seam allowance that I will be clipping. That would be too much bulk and I am not sure the batting would fray nicely, either.

DGLVR - that bear quilt is adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    ooops, maybe it's a dog! ha ha ha

Blog Entries
    I use 5" squares of fabric, 4" squares of warm and natural , make sandwiches by centering the batting on the bottom, then laying top material on then quilt something in the middle of the square, hearts butterfly, snail,or an x, not going into the seam allowances, then i sew them together the way you do with a rag quilt, it turns out really great.

I cut batting 2" smaller than the block.
    I never sew it in the seams as they would just be to thick
    and I like the 1" raggy seam instead of 1/2"
    the batting has neve shifted and several of these are used as doggy quilts so they get washed often

ooops, maybe it's a dog! ha ha ha
    Yeah its a dog. Thanks. Glad you like it. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dglvr
    Me too. I love rag quilts. I've made several. Some with just squares or like this one I'm showing. Fun to do.
    That is so cute!

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by dglvr
    That is so cute!
    Thanks

I cut my batting smaller than the seam and use the X to quilt the block. I have seen patterns where the batting is showing with the fringe but as someone else said, it would definitely be more balk to trim.

Inside the seam.

Thank you all for responding. I will definitely cut the batting to just fit inside the seam on the next rag quilt. If it works for all of you, then it works for me!

Blog Entries
    i've done it both ways, caught in the seam and small enough for just the center, i like it better when i catch it in the seam it seems like it helps the (raggy-ness) fluff more, but it might not make any difference. I say make them the way you want there is no right or wrong, if it works it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by athenagwis

Rachel
    I don't use batting either, baby quilts are 2 layers of flannel, jeans quilts- denim with flannel baking. They are heavy enough without batting!

I have made several rag quilts and if the outer squares are 8" cut batting 6" and center between. I sew an X across which secures the batting and makes for a better rag effect. If 10" squares cut batting 8" and so on. Hope this helps you out. I have a friend who takes her rag quilt everywhere she goes overnight, like an adult blanky. LOL :lol:

Thanks for the information SewKrazy1 I have not heard of any adult so far who needs their rag quilt for a "blankie", but I sure have teenaged grandchildren who are seldom seen without theirs, especially in the cooler weather.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast