Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rag Quilt Question

How very cute. My granddaughter used jean material and didn't use batting or flannel.

I've made 12 of these quilts. I cut the flannel 10x10 and the batting 8x8. I would put 7 rows of 6 blocks and that made a good size "cuddle up on the couch" quilt.

dglvr......that doggie quilt is wonderful....did you make that up or have a pattern? Is it just on TOP of the background fabric? Soooo cute.

I have made a dozen rag quilts for a fast project - usually for baby showers at work. I cut 8" squares of flannel and use flannel for all 3 layers. No batting, no "X" sewing each square. Very fast & easy and I've had remarks about them holding up well after several washes.

I cut my batting 1 in. smaller than my flannel and used a 1/2 in. seam. The X held the batting with no problem. I love making rag quilts. I bought a pillow that had a cover with rag seams. I plan to duplicate it, but just haven't done it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dglvr
    Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    DGLVR - that bear quilt is adorable!
    ooops, maybe it's a dog! ha ha ha
    Yeah its a dog. Thanks. Glad you like it. :thumbup:
    Can you make the rag quilts with regular 100% cotton? I have the pattern but would rather work with cotton and not flannel.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Burnett
    dglvr......that doggie quilt is wonderful....did you make that up or have a pattern? Is it just on TOP of the background fabric? Soooo cute.
    Thanks. Glad you like my doggie. Its hanging at a quilt show so
    the background fabric is just a quilt hanging behind it. The pattern is Simplicity #4993. There is also another pattern that has a panda and fish and something else I can't remember.

My sister makes many rag quilts, she cuts the batting 1" smaller than the fabric. Her first round of sewing is 1" all around, giving a nice 1/2" boarder around each block. She finds it easy to do other designs in the workable sized square-hearts and spirals decorate her squares.

Quote Originally Posted by biloxigirl
    Quote Originally Posted by dglvr
    DGLVR - that bear quilt is adorable!
    ooops, maybe it's a dog! ha ha ha
    Yeah its a dog. Thanks. Glad you like it. :thumbup:
    Can you make the rag quilts with regular 100% cotton? I have the pattern but would rather work with cotton and not flannel.
    Yes you can use just regular 100% cotton. Do not wash your fabric first. When your done cutting it to rag it thats when you wash it. I take mine outside and shake it really good first to keep some of the strings from getting in my washer and dryer.
    Or I take mine to a laundry mat so I don't get all the strings from the fabric in my washer and dryer. :thumbup:

On my first rag quilt I used batting instead of flannel and had to clip the batting out of the frayed ends. I learned my lesson the hard way. I've seen some with flannel or another thin layer of fabric. Thanks for the advice too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by piepatch
    I don't know if any of you make rag quilts, but if you do, I have a question for you. When you cut the batting (Warm and Natural) for the squares, do you cut it big enough to be caught up in the seam? I have made quite a few of these for family members, and I always cut the batting just big enough to have about 1/8" caught in the seam all the way around. I have talked to a lot of people who have made them, and they all say they only cut the batting just big enough to fit INSIDE the seam, and only being sewn down where the "X" is quilted. I think they do that so the batting won't show when you "fringe"the seams, But I have found the batting doesn't show when there is only 1/8" sewn in. The fringed part covers it up. If any of you have made these quilts, I would like to know how you make them. I have made so many I am tired of them, but have one more to make, and would like to hear how others make them.........
    I cut the batting 2 inches smaller and then quilted a design in the square

How cute!! Did U have a pattern 4 this?? Give Us instructions please.

When using warm and natural, I cut the squares small enough to fit within the seams.

It obviously works for you, so do it how you want to! I will be curious to try this method and see how it works for me. It would have to help hold the batting in place better than the 'X' especially on those larger squares.

OK, I never did or saw how to do a RAG quilt, but I think I got the idea. Cut squares, layer, X, then do you sew squares together with seam asslowances all going to the same side? so the "back" has smooth seams, no seam allowance showing? then do you just snip the seam allowance every so often?
    One more question - how are the sides finished?
    Sounds pretty easy, but maybe a tutorial coming from someone?

Quote Originally Posted by ajohn52
    How cute!! Did U have a pattern 4 this?? Give Us instructions please.
    Which pattern are you asking about?

I only use flannel and have found that white diaper flannel makes a great lining

I don't use batting, because I make denim quilts with flannel and backed with flannel.

I purchased a book last year to make some for family members...and as mentioned above....It said to cut the squares 4" and the batting 3"..that way it won't be into the fringed area for when your done. And it won't get caught up in the machine...hope that helps! Good luck...they are adorable when done...Also- you will want to take it to a washing machine place..those threads will screw up your washer..lol.

cae
    I recently finished my first rag quilt and did it the way you did, but i like the idea of three flannels with the 1/2" seam - showing all three colors. Will try that on my next one!

Carol in CT

I cut it just large enough to reach the seam, but not to extend into the seam allowance. One thing, when you quilt, make sure to catch all four of the corners on every block because the batting will bunch up if you don't. Ask me how I know.

I also cut the batting smaller than the squares and hold it in place with the X or whatever other design I choose to use. I do not have any problem with the batting shifting or bunching up.

I always make my batting 1" smaller than the square. I found that the fringe looks better if the batting is inside the seam. I would think it might depend on your preference. Just letting you know how I do them. I, too, have made many rag quilts and rag purses. Good Luck and do them however you prefer.

i tried the batting in the middle and it was amess to work with so now i just use a matching color flannel in the middle ( a thinner grade) and cut all three layers when doing the snipping , using the falnnel i dont have to make sure it is caught in the seam just right this way if i use a light weight flannel i can cut them all the same size and it is not extra bulk when snipping but is still a warm quilt

Power Poster
    Haven't tried them yet.

I also cut my batting smaller than the block. The X takes care of keeping it in place and it doesn't make the seam bulky.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast