Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello, NY here (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-ny-here-t62724.html)

Jodie02b 09-02-2010 12:15 PM

Hi my name is Jodie and i'm a wife and mother of three boys. I'm only 29 and my friends think its weird that I want to take up quilting.

I went to a Cracker Barrel with my husband a few weeks ago and so a beautiful quilt, then a light bulb went off. Although I loved the colors and design wouldn't it be more meaningful if I made something with my own hands?

So I started looking up quilting. I live in Brooklyn and this is not a hobby kind of neighborhood so it's not that easy to find a fabric shop or craft store really ( closet I have is a michaels).

I would really like to make a quilt by hand, no machines, and hopefully after I get the hang of things ( who knows christmas is around the corner) get a sewing machine.

Anyone have any advice before I go crazy in the store buying things?

lynnie 09-02-2010 12:22 PM

Hi welcome from medford, ong island, new york, i've beequilting since i was 7, now 51. made over 300 and still need help. You just keep on learning. what yu buy could depend on how much money you have and how involved yu want to get. BUT be careful, quilting is very addicting...that's wh we come here, it's our 12 step program for fabricholics lol
anything yu want to know, e mail me
[email protected], or ask anyone here.

Jodie02b 09-02-2010 12:26 PM

Thanks! I promised my husband I would take it nice and slow, till I get the hang of things. I really don't want to go overboard because we are renewing our vows in October so money is a lil tight right now.

But to quote Veruca(Willy wonka) I want it now! OMG I see such beautiful things and I can't wait to get my hands on quilting.

erstan947 09-02-2010 12:44 PM

Yep, you been bit by the quilt bug. It is a growing progress. I'm a plug-along quilter. Love the scrappy ones.
Some quilters here product works of art! You will fit right in. Welcome from Louisiana!

Jodie02b 09-02-2010 12:48 PM

Thanks, i'm glad to be on board

Naiscoot 09-02-2010 12:52 PM

My advise is to start with a simple pattern 2 and a half inch blocks.. make it a lab size quilt. If you start with a bigger project you might get discouraged and never pick it up again. I had a friend who started on a queen 4 years ago, she is just finishing it up now and says she will nver quilt again.

so there.. that`s my advise. welcome to the board.. The chat room will give you lots of help so drop in some time

Jodie02b 09-02-2010 12:58 PM

I managed to find 1 book in the library, it has potholders and placemats all by hand. So I figured i'd start there. Practice makes perfect right? and with my boys if I make a quilt they'll fight over it until i'm done. This way they can get an individual mat, until I get the courage to try something larger.

NCquilter 09-02-2010 01:01 PM

Hi Jodie! Welcome from North Carolina!

BABAREEBA 09-02-2010 01:07 PM

Hi and welcome Jodie from the West Coast of Florida. You will find a lot of inspiration and guidance from all the wonderful people on this board.

Jodie02b 09-02-2010 01:09 PM

I'm looking at all the many topics and everyone has such beautiful ideas, from quilting to recipes! I love it here!