Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   potato bags (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/potato-bags-t63619.html)

minnow895 09-07-2010 07:15 PM

there was a post on here about potato bags catching fire aven with useing all cotten i tried it before washing the material it happened than i washed my material before making it and after sewing it the potato bag did not catch fire i think ti has to do with the chemicals they use when they make the material

Marquilt 09-07-2010 07:18 PM

I know I'm going to feel stupid here, but what on earth is a potato bag? Surely you people aren't making quilted bags in which to store your potatoes?

And why would a bag of potatoes catch on fire anyway? I probably don't want to know, do I.

*succumbs to the urge to check my potato bin for flames*

Grammy o'5 09-07-2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Marquilt
I know I'm going to feel stupid here, but what on earth is a potato bag? Surely you people aren't making quilted bags in which to store your potatoes?

And why would a bag of potatoes catch on fire anyway? I probably don't want to know, do I.

*succumbs to the urge to check my potato bin for flames*

LOL! I haven't made one, but I believe it's a quilted bag that you put a potato in and microwave it to make baked potatoes.

minnow895 09-07-2010 07:21 PM

potato bags are for micro waving potatoes they come out alot better in the bags and yes we quilt them

annette1952 09-07-2010 07:25 PM

I haven't tried them yet but I bought the warm tater batting made just for them. Also I like your idea about washing the fabric first. It could definetly be the cause of the fire some had.

Originally Posted by minnow895
there was a post on here about potato bags catching fire aven with useing all cotten i tried it before washing the material it happened than i washed my material before making it and after sewing it the potato bag did not catch fire i think ti has to do with the chemicals they use when they make the material

debbieumphress 09-07-2010 07:30 PM

It just has to be 100% cotton batting. Very imp.

Marquilt 09-07-2010 07:39 PM

hmmm...when I bake/nuke a potato, I just stick a knife in the thing a bunch of times and put it naked on a plate and push the button. Works for me. LOL

Bmanmommy 09-07-2010 07:39 PM

I've never heard of such a thing. Guess I learned something new today.

janethagy 09-07-2010 08:15 PM

I make potatoe bags and yes they are used to make baked potatoes in the microwave... I personally havent had any problems of them catching on fire, I beleave washing the fabric is a very good idea, I always wash my fabric before I make a bag. I beleave allso that if a bag catches on fire it may be due to the microwave voltage, some cooks at a higher heat then others.
Just my personal opionion.
Janet

mzsooz 09-07-2010 08:17 PM

Goodness. I'm still cooking my potatoes naked! Guess I better learn more about these bags!