Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Room Advise (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-room-advise-t68009.html)

Happy Tails 10-03-2010 05:05 AM

I need your advise. In my new house I have 2 finished rooms in the basement that will become my quiilting haven. My question is this....because one room isn't big enough for everything, I have to divide it into the 2 rooms. Right now I have my fabric in 1 room and everything else in the other.. I'm finding it a big cramped. so....would you move the cutting table (which is 70 x 35) into the room with the fabric or would you put up with the cramped space and have everything at your fingertips. I have my sewing/embroidery machine, my featherweight, my ironing board (which is one I made 23 x 48) I guess I'm trying to figure out convenience vs space. Thanks as always for your input. Wendy :)

raptureready 10-03-2010 05:06 AM

I'd knock out the wall.

ptquilts 10-03-2010 05:07 AM

I would use the smaller one for strictly storage. Can you have the ironing board mount to the wall and fold away when not in use?

erstan947 10-03-2010 05:21 AM

Put the large cutting table in the fabric room and have a small cutting table (ie. tv tray) in the sewing area or a smaller mat on the ironing board area.

cizzors 10-03-2010 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Put the large cutting table in the fabric room and have a small cutting table (ie. tv tray) in the sewing area or a smaller mat on the ironing board area.

Ditto. I normally cut everything at once so when I'm done cutting, I'm only using my small cutting board next to my machine for squaring up. I also like the idea of knocking out the wall!

Happy Tails 10-03-2010 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by cizzors

Ditto. I normally cut everything at once so when I'm done cutting, I'm only using my small cutting board next to my machine for squaring up. I also like the idea of knocking out the wall!

Well knocking out walls is not an option since the rooms are not next to each other, but I do like the idea of moving the large cutting table out and using a smaller one by the machine. keep the ideas coming :)

mygirl66 10-03-2010 06:04 AM

Can you post pics of both rooms? This way we can get a better idea of the layout.

featherweight 10-03-2010 06:24 AM

I think I would rather be a little cramped then have to go to another room. My luck when I needed something in one room it would be in the other room and I would spend to much time running back and forth.

pocoellie 10-03-2010 06:43 AM

I'm with raptureready-knock out the walls and make it one big room

grammyp 10-03-2010 07:00 AM

If you can't knock down the wall, this would be my choice.