Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? about making potholders... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/about-making-potholders-t72558.html)

blzzrdqueen 10-27-2010 03:13 AM

When making pot holders, can I use regular batting or should a special batting be used?

smtp5 10-27-2010 03:17 AM

There is special batting, called Insta-brite, and it is at Joanne's!

QuiltswithConvicts 10-27-2010 03:17 AM

I use regular Warm & Natural. Insulbright is also something you could use. I have it and have used it, but I prefer W&N.

scrapykate 10-27-2010 03:20 AM

I use both, the Insulbright on the side that goes toward the pot and the warm and natural toward the hand. Makes a nice pot holder.

blzzrdqueen 10-27-2010 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
I use regular Warm & Natural. Insulbright is also something you could use. I have it and have used it, but I prefer W&N.

That's what I have, Warm and Natural, but it seems kind of thin, I made one potholder and tested it on a hot pan but I could still feel the heat. Should I double up the batting?

QuiltingGrannie 10-27-2010 03:21 AM

I used insul brite on mine, but next time will use insul brite and another layer of other batting for extra insulation from the heat.

You can also get insul brite at some Walmarts, & some LQS.

Sadiemae 10-27-2010 03:28 AM

If you are using warm and natural, you will probably want more than one layer in order to not burn your hands. Even with insulbright, they recommend a layer of warm and natural with it.

Short an Sweet 10-27-2010 03:32 AM

I sandwiched mine, 1 layer W&N and one layer insulbright and then another layer of W&N

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts

That's what I have, Warm and Natural, but it seems kind of thin, I made one potholder and tested it on a hot pan but I could still feel the heat. Should I double up the batting?

ckcowl 10-27-2010 04:20 AM

i know one lady who makes pot holder and she uses old terry towels she cuts up and folds for the center. they work great, hold up to many many washings and i never burn my fingers using one she made. lots of people just use warm & natural, a couple layers, some people use a third layer of fabric, maybe flannel then the batting...and some go buy the special stuff. it is certainly your choice what you use. just be careful not to use any polyester, batting or fabric blends; they can melt when they get too hot.
i am no good at making potholders and have given up...mine always burn your fingers and i even tried the insulbrite stuff...so i gave up making them i admire anyone who can make a cool potholder.

ncsewer 10-27-2010 05:53 AM

I also use the Insul bright and a layer of something else. Great way to use up small pieces of batting.