Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's the matter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-matter-t75056.html)

MommaDorian 11-08-2010 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Why is this happening? I've tried re-threading my needle and my bobbin. I need help!!

kkbrand 11-08-2010 06:39 AM

Looks like your bobbin tension needs to be tighter, check your instruction manual for your machine

Dawn Hendrix 11-08-2010 06:39 AM

you need to re thread your machine.. totally.. also cut the machine off anf let it set a few minutes.. can't hurt!

sidmona 11-08-2010 06:39 AM

I would double check my tension and make sure the feed dog area is clear of debri.

slk_y 11-08-2010 06:40 AM

Could just be re-threading and double check the bobbin area to make sure its clean of any lint and/or threads. (gosh, I hate it when this happens :)

gaigai 11-08-2010 06:42 AM

If the bad stitching is on the top, the problem is with your bobbin. If the problem is on the bottom, the problem is with the top thread. Either way, rethread very carefully, and clean out the bobbin case well and rethread that carefully and see if those help. Also, you might try changing thread spools if the problem is on the top and you are getting down toward the end of the spool. If the problem is the bobbin thread, check and make sure the bobbin thread still looks evenly wound. If it is towards the end of the bobbin, I would go ahead and put a new bobbin in. Good luck, and let us know what worked.

SueN 11-08-2010 06:47 AM

The steps I go thru when this happens:
1: rethread the machine and bobbin
2: clean the bobbin case, throat plate, etc, of lint
3: new needle (sometimes this is step one if I've had the needle in for a while)
4: Adjust machine tension

Whenever I rethread, either top or bottom, I always take a few stitches on a practice piece to make sure everything is OK.

MommaDorian 11-08-2010 06:54 AM

The problem is on the bottom, that's where the mess is. I changed the tension a bit and put on a new spool of thread. This worked. So, I figured it was the tension. When I put my white thread back on, it was messed up again. Could it be the spool? It's not at the end yet. I havn't been paying close enough attention to know if it's been like this since I changed the spool.

gaigai 11-08-2010 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
The problem is on the bottom, that's where the mess is. I changed the tension a bit and put on a new spool of thread. This worked. So, I figured it was the tension. When I put my white thread back on, it was messed up again. Could it be the spool? It's not at the end yet. I havn't been paying close enough attention to know if it's been like this since I changed the spool.

I just read somewhere about how thread is wound on the spool by the manufacturer having something to do with breakage, problems, etc. I don't remember where (maybe the Martelli site?), but I do know that I have had problems sometimes at the end of the spools.

watterstide 11-08-2010 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian

clean the bobbin area out..look closely for any threads that may be causght int he cutter or elsewhere.

i would change out the spool anyways..if i am having problems like yours, i rethread,clean,oil, and change the needle and bobbin.