Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone else not able to quilt because of... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-else-not-able-quilt-because-t75129.html)

liblueeyes 11-08-2010 12:44 PM

Tennis elbow - and no I don't play tennis. It has gotten so bad that I have had to just keep to hand applique, no rotary cutting. I really miss it. Dr. says surgery could make it worse. Had MRI today will see how it goes. If you are or have been in the same boat - please reassure me that this gets better!

amma 11-08-2010 01:02 PM

My DD's BF has just been diagnosed with this too. He is 28 and has NEVER played tennis.. it is work related for him. It will get better, just follow doctor's orders. My Mom who is a non tennis player too has had it and recovered fully :D:D:D

Jamiestitcher62 11-08-2010 01:08 PM

I got tennis elbow from bowling. Had surgery years ago, now the other one hurts. What's up with that? LOL. Also got tendonitis in my right shoulder, which also hurts when I bowl.

sharon b 11-08-2010 02:00 PM

I have had it come and go for years- when it flairs up I just rest the elbow- cortisone shots also help greatly :lol:

mrspete 11-08-2010 02:17 PM

<- redfaced here! I got it from trying to get up out of bed by myself when I had adominal surgery. Too weak to do it myself and I had to pull and twist to do it. It is touchy but not screaming. It took time and therapy, no shots. But it takes time. Listen to the doctor. I had to have my shoulder looked after....more and more with the birthdays. The alternative isn't something I want, so I'll grunt and go. Blessings, Ruth

pookie ookie 11-08-2010 02:31 PM

Rest works for me. Guess it depends on the severity but improves after several weeks of rest.

Navy Wife 11-08-2010 03:09 PM

Rest is the best. I recently told my orthopedic doctor that I was going to list him as my family doctor! My hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders are complaining about years of sewing, knitting, cross stitch and quilting. I've had 3 surgeries so far, and have 2 more developing. I will not give up!

LeeAnn 11-08-2010 03:11 PM

I had physical therapy. They put heat on it and had me do a few exercises. It didn't seem to help. My Dr. talked about surgery and I said no. I toughed it out and it did get better. It hasn't bothered me since and it's been 4 years. Hang in there.

ptquilts 11-08-2010 03:36 PM

I got it on left side, all I can figure is I sleep on that side,trained myself to switch sides, it went away.

Jan in VA 11-08-2010 03:36 PM

This is an all too common injury among those who work in fabric stores and lift bolts of fabric with a handgrip on their ends. After a fellow shop owner spent most of a year in a sling, I began to forbid my staff to lift more than one bolt at a time that way. We used to bend at the knee and "hug" the bolts.

Is it possible you are lifting something or using your arm repetively in this manner?

Jan in VA