Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   measurely challenged (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/measurely-challenged-t76678.html)

hlponyfarm 11-16-2010 03:45 AM

When using a rotary cutter, for some reason I still cant get my cuts straight. seems like the fabric stretches or my cutter goes astray. But my lines are not square! Im getting pretty frustrated. Any advice? JoAnn

Nancy S. 11-16-2010 04:02 AM

Make sure you have a good ruler and plant it firm before you cut and have your rotary cutter on the right side of the ruler. I have seen a Youtube about this so you could actually see what I am talking about. I'm sure someone will be able to explain it better.

sewcrafty 11-16-2010 04:03 AM

Two things:

1) Do you use the ruler grippers? If not, then I suggest it highly. If you don't want to buy the little sandpaper ones you can cut some out of sandpaper from your house and glue on.

2) When you fold your material before cutting - make sure that it lays flat, no wrinkles what so ever. Line the bottom up on the mat line and sort of flatten out then place ruler and line that up.

Hope this helps.

Jeanniejo 11-16-2010 04:08 AM

I use sand paper dots on my rulers, when I didn't the ruler would slide so much of the time I was almost too fustrated to sew !! Also practice with your rotary cutter and slow down until you get a good cut. It takes a little while to learn how to use the ruler and rotary cutter. Slowing down until you get the hang of it is extreemly helpful.

ktbb 11-16-2010 04:31 AM

Rulers also slip when there is too much pressure from the rotary cutter from the side. Practice holding the rotary cutter almost straight up, just running it along side the ruler rather than forcing it against the ruler as you cut. i also use the sandpaper dots and love them...it's just not easy to reposition the ruler by sliding it, but I guess that's the point, isn't it?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-16-2010 04:35 AM

Starch. My cuts always come out better when I starch the fabric heavily.

sewTinker 11-16-2010 04:47 AM

Try moving your arm from the shoulder, rather than from the wrist or elbow. More like, extending your arm as you cut. hard to explain, but I know that I can Feel the difference and my cuts don't move the end of the ruler to the left. I recently purchased a ruler with built-in sandpaper doo-dads - wanted to replace my 24" ruler with all the yellow markings - and I am really happy that I did. It Works beautifully! now I need to buy the stick-on's (because they're clear) for my favorite ruler.

bearisgray 11-16-2010 05:10 AM

Only cut one layer at a time until you feel more comfortable using the cutter.

It may take a bit longer, but if you do make an error, less fabric is wasted.

I enjoy cutting, but I still have better (straighter cuts and more accurate measurements) when I only do one layer at a time.

quiltmaker 11-16-2010 05:19 AM

If you can try and find a video on youtube where you can hear and see the process at the same time.

If you have a quilt shop near you...why not run in and ask them to demonstrate the proper way of cutting. I know many people are more visual and seeing the process makes it so much easier. If that's not available to you try the youtube venue to help.

Good Luck

Murphy 11-16-2010 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
I use sand paper dots on my rulers, when I didn't the ruler would slide so much of the time I was almost too fustrated to sew !! Also practice with your rotary cutter and slow down until you get a good cut. It takes a little while to learn how to use the ruler and rotary cutter. Slowing down until you get the hang of it is extreemly helpful.

The best advise I have received is the "slow down" method :wink: . It has worked wonders for my accuracy and cutting abilities. Try this and I am sure you will see success.