Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When is enough..."Enough"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-enough-%22enough%22-t83578.html)

Carron 12-17-2010 07:36 PM

I am referring to "enough" of saving the odds and ends of materials from projected finished. I save almost everything that is at the very least 2 inch by 2inch. sq.

I know this is what is done but, at what point is it an obsession and not just thrifty.

I have not done a scrapy quilt (probably because I have no idea how to do such a thing) and my collection is of various sizes not to mention becoming totally out of control.
I hate to toss some of the scraps because the materials are really beautiful, just not much of it.

Any thoughts about this situation? Thanks!

bluekrissyspikes 12-17-2010 07:38 PM

get on making some scrappy projects? maybe start with something easy like a crazy quilt?

lovingmama 12-17-2010 07:40 PM

Give some away, many of us would love to have some scraps.

mom-6 12-17-2010 07:42 PM

If scrappy just isn't your thing, you might consider packing up some of your scraps for PIF (pay it forward).

Some people charge a minimal amount for shipping, others just send it out gratis.

hperttula123 12-17-2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by bluekrissyspikes
get on making some scrappy projects? maybe start with something easy like a crazy quilt?

That would be fun to make a crazy quilt. I'm using up my Christmas scraps right now...just making table toppers, pot holders, and place mats. Just to use them up. I have alot of them, because you pay good money for the fabric, you might as well use it!!!! lol...I just play, don't have any real patterns or any design picked out. Just start cutting and sewing, you would be surprised what you can come up with. And, if it don't turn out, they are only scraps. You've got nothing to lose. :lol:

Izaquilter 12-17-2010 07:45 PM

There's a place on here called "Pay it forward" You can donate your scraps to someone who really needs them. This will make you feel good about getting rid of them & Knowing they are being used

frugalfabrics 12-17-2010 07:51 PM

That's one thing on here that I have really enjoyed...giving to those that ask for a little here and a little there. I really don't need anything (my stash is HUGE), so it makes me happy to think parts of my stash are going out there to be made into other peoples quilts and crafts.

It's kinda like an organ transplant...LOL...

quilt birthing is taking place all over the country from the scraps I'm sending out.

Happy Friday everyone.

patchsamkim 12-17-2010 07:57 PM

Our quilt guild has a "Put and Take" table that I usually put scraps on every month, and some that are bigger than scraps that I just probably won't use any more I give to the charity quilts project. If it is a fabric that I love that there isn't much left, I will sometimes cut 2" or 2-1/2" squares and add them to boxes that I have for making 4 patches or 9 patches, and work them into scrap quilts.

lovequilts 12-17-2010 08:22 PM

Do a PIF - Pay it Forward. Send to someone on the board that will use them

geckogirl 12-17-2010 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by lovequilts
Do a PIF - Pay it Forward. Send to someone on the board that will use them

I did this with mine and I sent them to the 17th person who messaged me because I like the number 17 :)